Morels Popping in Iowa!

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Went out today and found 56 morels, 12 big yellows and the rest grays. Grilling some ribeyes tomorrow from the quarter of beef we just got back and making some bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers to go with the morels. Hiked over 5 miles today to find them but when you seen one, more showed up.

Attachments:
    1. F7FF9F59-2EAF-4CDB-A792-E955458E690D-scaled.jpeg

2. 56DEF0BB-3F21-4DBC-9289-FB43BF58A3C0-scaled.jpeg

3. 86506562-29F9-4CD2-8AA3-724675CC4340-scaled.jpeg

4. CFC35694-9B52-4013-B093-B3771AE14348-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nice work. We found a handful yesterday as well and we just stumbled upon them. So that means it’s time.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The plan here is to make a good hike this coming weekend Saturday afternoon if the weather is decent. 3 years ago was a banner year with multiple outings of over 100 morels. The last couple years I’ve been busier and the outings were short, but still got enough for some meals.

A little PSA – Wear something bright if you are looking on public land or have people nearby who turkey hunt. About 5 years ago I found a neighbor sitting on our side of the line by about 15 yards as I came rolling up wearing carharts and a black hoodie with a bag of morels. He’s an older guy who didn’t really know the line well and only hunted sparingly. As I walked away after chatting I realized how dangerous that situation might have actually been.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

My buddy ran over a solid 100 morels last year with his mower. Is it fair to expect to find more in that area this year?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My buddy ran over a solid 100 morels last year with his mower. Is it fair to expect to find more in that area this year?

Yes, but it’s not a guarantee. Why were they there in the first place? Dead elm tree near by ?

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I found mine all along south facing ridges. I had an orange stocking hat on but after the 4th mile, I was sweating so much I took it off. My buddy who was with me was wearing his orange hunting vest and I didn’t journey far from him. I had the stocking hat run through my belt, hanging behind me so I figured that should be good enough.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>

Yes, but it’s not a guarantee. Why were they there in the first place? Dead elm tree near by ?

Dead tree’s nearby, I will have to check if they are elms. But these were essentially just in the yard around the garage. He has 10 more acres of woods I’m banking on having more. Crossing my fingers. Do you guys pick all sizes or only certain sizes?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dead tree’s nearby, I will have to check if they are elms. But these were essentially just in the yard around the garage. He has 10 more acres of woods I’m banking on having more. Crossing my fingers. Do you guys pick all sizes or only certain sizes?
    [/quote]

If it’s a private spot then I let them get bigger. If it’s somewhere I think others will pick them then I’ll grab them unless they are real small. My go to spot had produced 100s for me in the same area for 5 years now and I’ve never seen any one near it. So I let them get tall. But they will also go bad if you wait to long

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.