Cane poles

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I know many here are to young to have tried them but to the old timers who might have I have a few questions.

This is more of a general question but do you think fish hear or can detect outboard motors and sonar units? Do they flair away from the boat or are they use to the noise / vibration?

I am thinking of using a 18′ to 20′ cane pole this summer over open basins targeting suspending fish. With cane poles i’ve always seen them rigged with Dacron line. So question one is would tying on a 6′ leader in mono be advantageous or a waste of time. Should I attempt all mono line. Question 2 if I wanted to run a 2 or 3 oz bottom bouncer off of Dacron with a long metal or floro leader would that work? The goal is to get immediate depth while not being far behind the boat. I would be trying to run large baits like Super Shads and big spoons. The max amount of line at the end of the cane pole would be like 20′. The target species would be Pike mainly.

Any chance of this working or am I crazy thinking it would work? Keep in mind I want to target bigger fish, I’m not looking for numbers.

Thoughts?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have relatives that used to fish like this. They were nicknamed the cane pole crew. I did it a few times when I was younger myself. It’s been many years now though.

Northern pike were the target and we just trolled with Dacron line attached to the cane poles, primarily using spoons. Caught a lot of pike early in the season before the weeds started to get thick.

Eventually my relatives just kind of stopped doing it. The younger generation wasn’t real keen to it because it seemed so primitive.

I’m sure it would still definitely work for pike.

Deuces

Fish can absolutely react to motors, boats etc, cane poles in theory gets rid of that factor by putting bait in front of the motor.

We never did it as you described, always shallow weedlines, heavy line with a leader, nothing fancy. Always did well. I like your thinking tho, worth a shot.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Spent many a summer trolling cane poles on Platte Lake growing up catching hammer handles. First it was actual bamboo canes, then collapsible modern ones. I think your plan is feasible. Going to need to find cane poles that can handle both super shads on bottom bouncers, plus bring in a trophy pike. Also there is no reel, so no drag to utilize, so the pole would need enough flex to handle big pike. FWIW growing up if we ever hooked into a big pike (never happened, don’t think they exist in Platte jester ), the plan according to my Grandpa was to throw the pole in the water (they float) and follow it around until they got tired.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

the plan according to my Grandpa was to throw the pole in the water (they float) and follow it around until they got tired.

Ha! I heard more than one of my relatives say that too but it never materialized, presumably because they never piled into a big pike.

Jimmy Jones

I have a 14′ extendable pole with a simple tip-top on the end section. There’s a simple line winder on the handle end. $3 at a garage sale. I always thought it would be great for dipping into tangles and submerged trees where a cast would be a nightmare. We were talking about using it just the other day while we fished and came on one such situation where it would have been helpful [maybe]. I think I’ll toss it in the boat tomorrow.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Spent many a summer trolling cane poles on Platte Lake growing up catching hammer handles. First it was actual bamboo canes, then collapsible modern ones. I think your plan is feasible. Going to need to find cane poles that can handle both super shads on bottom bouncers, plus bring in a trophy pike. Also there is no reel, so no drag to utilize, so the pole would need enough flex to handle big pike. FWIW growing up if we ever hooked into a big pike (never happened, don’t think they exist in Platte jester ), the plan according to my Grandpa was to throw the pole in the water (they float) and follow it around until they got tired.

i fished with cane poles in Canada once……felt pretty stupid crossing the border. but yea get a big pike, drop er in and follow it around.

caught one about 12 lbs…….just lifeted it up and flopped into the boat…..no fighting the fish whatso ever…..wasnt all that fun!!!

bclii
    MN/AZ

We spider rig crappies here in AZ as well as MN. They hear or feel the electric noise so We run 20’, 18’ or 16’ poles off the front. Set two pedestal seats up front. One guy lifts the pole while the other nets the fish with a long telescopic handle. So to answer your question, yes it will work!

jwellsy

Cane poles were very common when I was a kid. The biggest catfish I’ve ever seen caught was on a cane pole. We mainly bank fished so the cane poles were used more like a flippin stick and ease the bait into the water as stealthily as possible. That big cat was sitting up under tree roots on the side of small creek.

IMHO, for me a cane pole would be to noodely for a 2 or 3 oz bait.

My favorite setup is a 14wt fly rod with a 10 size spinning real. A 14wt fly rod is what they go shark fishing with, so it has plenty of backbone for large baits. I spool it with braided line and tie on a steel leader and a 1oz Johnson Silver Minnow. The Northern’s love it and I love catching them on a fly fly rod. It’s a two handed fight that doubles my pleasure. You can throw a large bait a very long way with that setup, or use it for flippin or vertical jigging.

For boat use, it sounds like your wanting side planers to get baits out away from the boat noise.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

For boat use, it sounds like your wanting side planers to get baits out away from the boat noise.

Yes I want to get it away from the boat but without using planer boards.

Thanks for all the input guys. toast

jwellsy

The blue water offshore guys may have some interesting ideas. They put out all kinds of rigs with releases.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Outriggers. The big water boats use them all the time.

shefland
    Walker

jason mitchell rods, used to market a 14′ trolling rod. not available anymore. wish I had one, used my friends and it was a great alternative for a planer board type presentation

jwellsy

There are a lot of 12′ Surf rods that are rated for up to 4oz baits. Okuma makes a 15′, 3 piece, MH/F, 20-40# line called OKUMA TUNDRA PRO SERIES SPINNING RODS. At $75 it’s a bit more than a cane pole. But, still very reasonable.

The European carp rods are really long too. But, they may be a higher price point than common surf rods.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

An actual fishing rod will be my last choice only if I can’t find a cane pole. I bought my last cane pole many years ago from Prince Bait, I’m not even sure they have them anymore. Other than there I wouldn’t even know where to look.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

An actual fishing rod will be my last choice only if I can’t find a cane pole. I bought my last cane pole many years ago from Prince Bait, I’m not even sure they have them anymore. Other than there I wouldn’t even know where to look.

damn dutchy, i threw some out at the cabin last year!!! doah

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Dutchboy, try googling “extendable fiberglass fishing pole”. You might find something that will work.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Dutchboy, try googling “extendable fiberglass fishing pole”. You might find something that will work.

Yea, fleet farm sells those telescopic poles!

Tinker
    Iron Range

Jason Mitchell Outdoors had a show about 3 years ago fishing in Iowa with cane poles. Interesting and look like fun. Search You Tube Jason Mitchell Outdoors fishing with cane poles.

stevenoak

I fish a lot, probably 40 to 50 days a year out of my Hobie pedal kayak salt and fresh water. It’s amazing how many more fish I see near the boat. The fin type propulsion is quieter than even a prop pedal or paddle kayak. A guide I know on Rainy wouldn’t use braided line, because he swore it transmitted trolling motor vibration down the line.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.