Mille Lacs Carp – In-Fish Episode From Years Ago

• Dan Larson
    East Bethel MN

Does anyone know where I can find the In-Fish episode the Linders did years ago on spring carp in that back bay off Vineland? I can’t seem to find it online. I’ve snapped off some tanks in the current back in the day at the Coon Rapids Dam, would like to check off a true tanker from my bucket list, since they fenced off any opportunity years ago. I don’t remember their setup, but I seem to recall it wasn’t your straight river sinker/hook rig.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We used to go catch a ton of giants on the MN River back under the 41 bridge. When the river was high they would run back the drainage through the woods. We would catch them with a few split shots on the line and corn as bait. Those were the days. Powerful fish on spinning gear when we were younger.
    Sorry I’m no help for the in fisherman episode.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I think they were chumming corn and using a hair rig. It is now illegal to chum in MN so you don’t see any new shows on it. There also was one by anglers edge on Minnetonka where the used night crawlers. I used to fish carp alot till the law change on chum. Most carp techniques utilize chum with corn or boilles.
    Mwal

recordhunter

I have that on VHS but buried deep in storage. A favorite. Referenced last year with my buddy while figuring out our next trip. Ended up on the Minnesota river instead and pounded them. Met some guys that bow fish Mille lacs and get into the big ones. Still on my bucket list.

Dan Larson
    East Bethel MN

I think they were chumming corn and using a hair rig. It is now illegal to chum in MN so you don’t see any new shows on it. There also was one by anglers edge on Minnetonka where the used night crawlers. I used to fish carp alot till the law change on chum. Most carp techniques utilize chum with corn or boilles.
    Mwal

Seem to recall the chumming now as well, they even gave a whole kernal feed corn brine recipe. Thank you for jogging the old gray mass!

Deuces

Not sure anyone is gonna give 2 rips on ya chummin carp w some corn.

Biggest carp I’ve seen were definitely in lakes. Medicine has some huge ones in the north shallow bay. Calhoun and Harriet monsters as well. Wouldn’t travel north just to fish carp.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I was driving a gravel backroad over the weekend in Southern MN. Passing over a very small ditch that is often dry, but has water in it now, I was surprised at seeing a huge mess of dead carp. There were even a few still alive sitting in inches of water. The creek connects to a medium marsh. Now I’m wondering if there’s any bass in there? It’s completely surrounded with cattails. Most of the carp were good sized 6-12 pounds.

Dan Larson
    East Bethel MN

Not sure anyone is gonna give 2 rips on ya chummin carp w some corn.

Biggest carp I’ve seen were definitely in lakes. Medicine has some huge ones in the north shallow bay. Calhoun and Harriet monsters as well. Wouldn’t travel north just to fish carp.

Would rather drive to the Artic Circle than anywhere in or around Minneapolis.

brandmoney

Anybody have the link to that video? Would be interesting to watch

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

30 years ago a childhood friend of mine showed me how to fish for carp with oatmeal. You take a handful of quick cooking oats, dunk it in the water and squeeze it onto your hook. It acts like a dough ball. The really cool thing is that it sheds oatmeal flakes and essentially chums for them in a totally legal way. It actually stays on the hook way better than you’d expect.

The oatmeal worked great and we caught a bunch. You could actually see them rooting around in the spot where you were casting. When that happened the action was fast and furious.

Chumming isn’t legal here but fishing with oatmeal is. Give it a try. The Coon Rapids Dam is where he showed me this technique too. That’s where I spent most of my teens.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Would rather drive to the Artic Circle than anywhere in or around Minneapolis.

[/quote]

Go to Martin Lake, fish off the outlet…use 1 rod and make sure you have a fishing license.

Loaded with Big Lips…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.