Auger carrier for ATV

• nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Im looking for a decent design on how you guys carry your power augers on the quads. I have a Mad Dog carrier, and dont like it. The velcro takes a lot of work, and it doesnt work that well in the cold and snow. I have an 06 Sportsman, so it has the lock-n-ride racks, so no steel bars to connect too either.
    Any opinions or pictures would be appreciated.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I have an 06 as well but I put a rack extender on the front
    of it.
    I tried the Mad Dog auger carrier and thought it was kind
    of a hassle as well plus I had clearance issues with the
    windshield.
    I dumped it and just went with two fin grips as shown in
    the picture. I bought them at Cabelas but couldn’t find
    them on the site today.

I can get a pic. of my current setup later today.

The front rack extender goes for around 70.00 and the
    grips were around 30.00 for the pair. Money well spent.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

That was my thought. Do you just use a rubber strap to hold the auger down tight in the grips?

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

That was my thought. Do you just use a rubber strap to hold the auger down tight in the grips?

I use the rubber snubbers, as seen in pic., when I’m on the lake.

When trailering to and from I do use additional bungees to secure it to the ATV.

Dan

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Thanks for taking the time to get the pics, I think Ill probably do just what you have there.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I too am going away from the Mad Dog carrier. My hands are so cold by the time I’ve got it strapped on, it’s very miserable. I’m going to the two gun boots shown above with a bungy for security.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I use the same one Dan has pictured above. I have them on both of my sleds and they work slick

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Thanks again guys, I was going to order them from Cabelas, but cant find them on the site now. Ill do some more digging, or else end up making a 2hr trip up there. At least I can fish Clear Lake on the way home!

DaveI

If you’re handy with metal work, you could fabricate a holder for an Otter Ice Shield. Now, I have the Otter Monster Box and Ice Shield that slides on but, back then, this worked slick.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

You can order direct from Mad Dog Gear if need be.

Mad Dog Link

Fleet Farm used to carry them as well.

Good Luck!!

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

The velcro takes a lot of work, and it doesnt work that well in the cold and snow.

Don’t use the velcro…use a bungy or two. Much quicker and easier. I quit using the velcro soon after installing the holder, your right, it’s a hassle. Nothing like -20 and having to pull the gloves off and dink with that stupid velcro and tiny slot!!

My next mod will be to pull the rubber pads and fab up something different…the ears on the strikemaster handle don’t like the rubber blocks and their shape. I’m thinking I’ll remove the rubber pads, a piece of plastic wood decking run from block to block and taking the dremel to cut a slot for each of the ears on the handle. It should hold it much better and will take little time to do.

BIRDDOG

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Well taking advice from Jami Ritter after looking at his setup and hearing and seeing what you folks here in IDO have done, I have completed my quest at creating my ultimate Ice Fishing Rig! Pardon the salt stains, but you can see what has transpired the last couple days. Jami installed the drop basket from Tractor Supply Co. and then off of that I installed the Mad Dog holders. The beauty is….The whole works comes off in 5 minutes!!! The auger head cover was $20 at Fleet Farm. Unfortunately is is made for Jiffy..but fortunately if fits both of my Strikemasters. Now I can load my Otter Magnum Lodge on my trailer without risk of hernia or major back issues.
    I can still have another rider on board and my dual gun cases as well!
    Thanks for all the tips!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Looking good, I should have bought that head cover…

Although I did enjoy watching you struggle loading your shack onto the trailer….

Jami

Tyee
    Greater St Michael Area

Has anyone ever had an issue with the lack of support on the power head?

I’ve been wrestling with the dumb velco strips as well and have always worried about not supporting the power head if I went with this 2-point type of mount.
    Securing only the auger bit down allows the power head to bounce around some I would think…? Not enough weight to be of any concern?

thanks.

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

I made my own becasue I couldn’t find anything on the market I liked…

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

That a boy Muncy! Looks like a pretty sweet set up.

Jami

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Very sweet!
    Mine actually supports above there the shaft comes out, so aside from some serious Baja action I should be OK.

The head cover is a must if you plan to trailer with it on the wheeler. Salt and road slop will corrode and jam up those triggers and cables fast!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Kooty, did a quick mod to the auger carrier this weekend, got two of these from the hardware store for under $2 a couple of zip ties and the velco strap on the mad dog carrier is much easier to put on/off. Still can’t do it with chopper mits on, but gloves with fingers are no problem

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Sweet. Can’t hurt to try it. Right now I’m cussing so badly by the time I get it secured.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.