Electronic Collar

• Zach H

I’m looking for everyone’s input on what collar you think is the best and why? I have a Dogtra right now and I am less then pleased with it. Looking to purchasing and new one and rather than doing a bunch of research first. I thought I would let the IDO people help me narrow it down first to cut down the time of research. Thanks!

Sharon
    SE Metro

We use the SportDog brand’s Upland Hunter e-collar. It works great and is quiet durable. It has 1 mile range, waterproof, expandable for up to 3 dogs, and it’s orange. It has 7 continuous and 7 momentary stimulation levels, and vibration and tone options.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

We use the SportDog brand’s Upland Hunter e-collar. It works great and is quiet durable. It has 1 mile range, waterproof, expandable for up to 3 dogs, and it’s orange. It has 7 continuous and 7 momentary stimulation levels, and vibration and tone options.

We have the same one. No issues.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

I have used the Sportdog brand for my first lab and used it hard – many upland and waterfowl hunting trips plus training for hunt tests. Being one of the smaller and lighter collars on the market was a factor for me as I was running my dog in SD pheasant hunting where the dog can run up to 30 miles in a day (3X my 10 mile pedometer indication). So keeping a light collar on her I feel helps her out o long hunts. The collar is good and never had any issues with it, but after three years of hard use, it finally quit working as the shock/nick button would not work and the collar stopped working. To fix these collars and the cost, it is better to buy a new one.

Now that I have two pointing labs, I have purchased the Dogtra 2500T&B system and absolutely love it. With Sportdog, I had to purchase an additional pointing attachment which increased the weight. With Dogtra, it comes built in, has more settings and more control and have not had any issues with it in nearly three years. A bit more expensive, but, now that I have thoroughly tried both products in harsh conditions for quite some time, my personal preference is Dogrta.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had many years of Service out of the economical Sport Dog. Even bought batteries from them to extend its service several more years. I don’t use it much though with my current dog. I have not had it on her neck this year and only regretted not having it one time in Iowa.
    I have been thinking about a tracking system for my current pointer. It gets dicey when she locks up out of site.

sktrwx2200

I also have a pointing lab. And the DOGTRA 2500T&B is the collar I run. I really like the beeper feature rather than the vibration for pheasant hunting out here in South Dakota. It allows me to keep track of her in the huge corn fields with out having to shock her , and break her off bird scent. This collar is going on 5 years of HARD use. No parts ever replaced, same battery as when i bought it. Also ….. Dogtra is great prices on their collars.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t hunt but I’ve been using a Tri-tronics e-collar for my lab for the past 6 years without issue. This thing is bullet proof and I expect it to outlast the dog.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

I bought the sportdog 2525 to replace its previous version.(can’t remember model #) Old version was 8 years old. Only reason I replaced it was because I wore out to charger and can’t find another. The collar and remote work fine. I really like the vibrate feature on the new collar. The dog responds extremely well.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Just a side note here. In all my years of train hunting dogs I have found. That the E-Collar is the Best training tool ever, and the WORST.! It all depends On WHO is running the BUTTON.!!…rrr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.