Dry Tortugas Anyone?

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I’ve been thinking about taking a trip to the Dry Tortugas for quite some time, but don’t know anyone who has actually fished there. For those who don’t know, its in an area off of Key West that is closed to commercial fishing. It boasts huge grouper and mutton snapper. The catch, is that you have to sleep on the boat because it’s so far from land. Spending 3 days on a large boat fishing nonstop sounds pretty awesome, as long as the fishing is awesome. Otherwise it turns into 3 days on a boat with a bunch of stinky men. Anyways…just wondering if anyone has fished there before. Here is a link to one of the charters I’m considering. Thanks

http://www.yankeecapts.com/

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Cool. That looks like fun.

hnd

its an amazing place. the fort is pretty amazing. we fished on the way out to it and caught barracuda, mahi mahi, ciero, and tuna trolling.

once there, and in the bay, we caught snapper pretty much with ease. nothing really enormous but we hooked into a few really huge sharks we did not have the gear for. fought one for about an hour on medium tackle before we got a look at it and then it was gone. probably a 4-5ft shark. we had a blast. i would def recommend a trip to the tortugas. the fishing in and around key west is a blast as well.

Doug Sponseller
    Houghton Lake, Michigan

I did one of these trips about 25 years ago. We had a good time and caught lots of fish. We sold our fish at the dock when we returned, made enough money to pay for the trip. At that time there were several buyers willing to buy your catch, so compare prices offered before you sell. I would do the trip again if I ever get the chance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.