CWD Transmission to Humans

• CaptainMusky

There were those two dudes in WI that many believed died because of eating an infected deer. Never heard if there was any truth to it.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I couldn’t open the link so added the supposed article.

A whole lot of assumption and no proof he ate infected venison other than the local population had one infected deer. A stretch would be the polite word to describe that journalism, which seems par for the course.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I noticed the link is no longer working. Almost like Field and Stream took the article down or something…

roottwo

It’s probably better to read the abstract of the study than anything in Field and Stream.

https://www.neurology.org/doi/abs/10.1212/WNL.0000000000204407

Conclusions:
    Clusters of sporadic CJD cases may occur in regions with CWD-confirmed deer populations, hinting at potential cross-species prion transmission. Surveillance and further research are essential to better understand this possible association.

CaptainMusky

Yeah a lot of times those authors of those articles insert opinion rather than fact. Unrelated to this but research that Mitch Rompola buck once. No wonder he never wanted it recorded for the record books so many said it was not natural and he faked it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They pulled the story is what I heard. Nothing to worry about as far as from a human stand point. Just had venison steaks for lunch yesterday. Yummy!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Not much in field and stream that I would buy in to.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

After extensively following CWD and the struggle to even ID it properly in deer . “False positives and false negatives. The DNR,s utter mind numbing answer i was given at a public event that was hosted by their expert . Has left me , at this point not knowing any more about the disease than they did in 1967 !

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My understanding is that it affects the brain, spinal cord, and lymph nodes of the deer just like mad cow disease in cattle. Refrain from consuming those on the deer would be my advice.

blackbay
    mn

CWD has been in Wyoming and Colorado for 40 plus years. I have to assume that there has been a lot of venison and elk eaten that may have tested positive for CWD if anyone knew to look for it. Don’t get me wrong, CWD is something to be concerned about for both wildlife and human health, but I do wonder where all the sick/dead people are that ate infected meat.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Another interesting find is they are testing ticks to see if they carry the prion related to CWD. They believe they do but its not enough to matter.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Another interesting find is they are testing ticks to see if they carry the prion related to CWD. They believe they do but its not enough to matter.

This is really strange. I don’t see any way a tick could pick up the prion. My understanding is that it is only in the nervous system, and I don’t see how a tick could ever pick it up. But if they did, then transmission would be quite easy to the ticks new host.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Roottwo, this has been the case in northern WI where I have taken care of two cases of people with CJD whom had post mortem brain biopsies and both were suspected from eating deer infected with CWD.

CaptainMusky

I would imagine the ticks could transmit it because they attach to an infected deer but then release from the deer and then somehow give it to something else.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

It’s interesting that cjd is said to not be contagious between humans unless there is contact with the central nervous system. Cwd on the other hand can be spread more easily between deer. It’s scary that ticks can carry the prions! This makes me more nervous about eating venison. If you read about prions they are very difficult to destroy as they are not a living thing.

CaptainMusky

Arent prions transmitted through the nasal cavity and then localized to the brain , lymph nodes and spinal cord? I dont see myself eating any of those things.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Arent prions transmitted through the nasal cavity and then localized to the brain , lymph nodes and spinal cord? I dont see myself eating any of those things.

That’s kind of what I was wondering. I believed that prions in the case of cjd in humans are relegated to the brain and spinal cord. But it sounds like the prions in cwd in deer are in the blood stream as well, which is why ticks pick up prions. If this is the case I’m surprised more people don’t get cwd from eating venison. Take note that many deer with prions in their system will show no signs of it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

My understanding is that it affects the brain, spinal cord, and lymph nodes of the deer just like mad cow disease in cattle. Refrain from consuming those on the deer would be my advice.

pretty much my understanding as well.

isnt that exactly why you cant transport whole deer, mainly the head, and backbone across state lines!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yes, I think that’s the case Glenn

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Prions contaminate the ground itself , as far as killing them good luck ! Subsequently the Colorado holding pen where captive elk brought back from Canada had succumbed to CWD . Going forward the area was burned with fuel oil to sterilize the ground . It sat empty for 5 years . New elk were then reintroduced and not long after they all had CWD . Operating instruments used by brain surgeons sterilized in an autoclave subsequently lead to people being infected with CJD ! Guidelines are recommending heavy bleach water to disinfect equipment . CJD was more prevalent in Europe , they ate everything but the moo and the squeal . Nasty disease for sure zero chance of living after contracting it .

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i really…really like my vension, and this wont stop me from eating it. i’ve never seen a sick or dead animal because of it.

in the wild mother nature takes care of it. i find it hard to believe that but maybe i havent heard or read about it, other critters that feed off these carcasses have gotten it?????

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

in the wild mother nature takes care of it. i find it hard to believe that but maybe i havent heard or read about it, other critters that feed off these carcasses have gotten it?????

This is what I’ve always wondered about. If a woodtick can get it from sucking blood, then a wolf, coyote, etc. sure can get it from eating the deers brain, not to mention vultures and crows that pluck the eyeballs(also part of nervous system). The big question would be whether or not said prion, which is simply a protein, can replicate in any of these other animals. Once it starts to replicate the person/creature is 100% toast, zero chance of survival.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

have they ever tested or checked any black bears??????/ i mean there scavengers, eat things low to and on the ground???????

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.