9/6 and 9/7 P2 Report

• Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

I found myself out on P2 enjoying the beautiful weather on both Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday was a tougher day, but I also didn’t get a chance to fish very hard. My wife and I decided to take Stella on her first trip to the river. She absolutely hated her life vest. It was a full time job for my wife to keep her occupied, and I didn’t move around very much as a result. I caught a few fish with one going 25. Once again, all fish were caught trolling up stream.

Sunday was a better day. I was joined by a good buddy Bret, and Kendall (KWP). We caught fish at just about every spot. The bite wasn’t on fire, but it was certainly consistent enough to keep us entertained. The average size was down, but we did get a couple of mid 24’s. We caught a few more fish trolling down stream, but the majority were still caught while traveling up stream. By Sunday, the flow had definitely picked up. In a couple of spots, the fish had relocated to different areas of the structure and it took a bit to find them. Some of the things that have happened over the last 3 outings have lead me to believe that several of these trolling runs have residential pods of fish. Depending on what the flow is doing, they are just in different areas. I had not really had an opportunity to fish 3 times in succession with changing flow. It was interesting to see how the fish changed their positions each trip out. For the most part, the fish were moving towards areas of less current. We did catch a couple in quicker current, but they were an exception to the rule. Jointed shads and Smash Shads were on the menu. A variety of colors were working for us, and we found that switching up produced a few additional fish after the bite had slowed in a certain area.

Thanks for jumping in the boat with me Kendall!

-Drew

Attachments:
    1. V__266C1.jpg

2. V__94351.jpg

3. WP_20140907_0071.jpg

4. WP_20140907_0051.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Sounds like a couple good trips! Hope to get down there tonight or tomorrow after work for a few hours.

-J.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice report. There is no way that little cutie can be causing that much trouble.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

Cute. Mine are 2.5 and just over 4 yrs…I can remember those days of taking them out early in the morning, feeding them cereal and milk on-board and bringing their little popup tents for shade and nap time. Life jackets were never a good thing..took a while for them to understand that it is just the way it is on a boat. It is hard to fish hard with little ones on board. I

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Again, great report Drew…The only other thing I could add is while we got the majority of our fish near the bottom we did catch a few slightly suspended off the bottom.

Thanks for bringing me along on Sunday – I had a blast fishing with you and Bret.

matt

Caught fish Saturday trolling upstream and then at the end of the trolling run would drift back thru and cast upstream retreive back downstream and caught fish also.Sunday got fish trolling upstream and only a couple casting.Did some jigging and rigging minnows Sunday and caught a few also.Caught fish in 2feet of water out to 17ft trolling seam edges and fish no where near a seam well out the cuurrent.Seemed like there were fish all over and I caught them all over.Got into some slab crappies,a couple good pike,white bass,smallies and catfish.It was a pretty Good weekend out there.Dont know why one photo is upside down and Salmo’s outfished Smash Shad’s at a 5:1 ratio

Attachments:
    1. 20140906_131311.jpg

2. 20140906_190808.jpg

3. 20140906_192246.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.