Outside Dog – Barking Problem

• Gerty

I am the owner of my 3rd German Shorthair. This one has more German in it than the last 2 and seems to be a bit on the stubborn side.All 3 have been outside kennel dogs. The first two barked a bit when young but, after continuous slaps to the snout and being told to quit barking immediately after barking, learned to stop rather quickly and where never a problem after a couple months. This one is now almost 1.5 yrs old and still likes to bark during the day. When I am home (weekends and nights) and he barks I immediately open the patio door and tell him to stop. He cowers and stops right away. He knows he has done wrong. If I walk towards the kennel he lays to the ground and knows he is in trouble. However, I can not be around during the work week and I have now had two calls from the cops who have been complained to by the neighbors in the back yard. I don’t blame them, as I hate dogs that bark. He is also one who seems to continue barking after something gets him going (squirrel/rabbits in the yard, people working on neighbors houses, etc.). I have tried a bark shock collar and this has not seemed to work. I also do not really like the idea of it. I was wondering if anybody has tried any of the ultrasonic collars or the ones that spray them when they bark? Do they work? Does anyone have any other ideas that have worked for them in this type of situation? My only option is to put him in his travel kennel in the garage all day while I am at work.

Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Gert why didn’t the shock bark collar work?

Gerty

I’m not sure. I had it on him while at work and the neighbors still called. Not sure of two things – 1. was it set high enough, 2. is it working properly. I am trying to find out a way to test it to see if it is working. Do not think there is a manual way to do it. May have to set up a scenario to have someone walk into the yard and get the dog to bark and see his reaction to determine if it is working. All indications by the blinking lights says it is working.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If your Current Bark color is not getting the job done, My guess is that either the setting in to low or it is not working correctly. My friend had the same problem with his dog. His first bark collar ( A cheap one ) did not get the job done. The 2nd one ( Better model ) took care of the barking in just a few days. He now uses a dummy collar 99% of the time. Once in a great while he puts the real Collar on just keep the dog in order.

Gerty

It is a better model collar. Bought from a friend. I’ll have to try a controlled test and see if it is working properly. Thanks!

CaptainMusky

It is a better model collar. Bought from a friend. I’ll have to try a controlled test and see if it is working properly. Thanks!

Don’t put it on the wife or kids to test no matter how appealing that may be. -)

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Have you considered an ultra-sonic bark limiter? No collar involved.

Sorry,should have read the whole post

Gerty

rkd-jim – Do you have any experience with these ultra-sonic units? That was my next thought.

Gerty

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gerty wrote:</div>

Don’t put it on the wife or kids to test no matter how appealing that may be. -)

That has never crossed my mind! mrgreen

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I know someone who put a shock color on his dads leg while passed out on the couch. He electrical taped the button down on the remote and threw it under the couch. That did not end real well. The kid almost got shot out of the tree he climbed to get away from his dad. It was funny as hell, till the dad pulled the Bow out of the truck and started to load a arrow. Then things became serious in a hurry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.