Nanofil vs. Suffix 832

• Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

I have been using Nano since it came out and have learned how to fish with it. IMO is has some issue with knot strength, tensile strength and tying Nano to flouro. But, I really like the casts ability, diameter, how slick it is through the water and stretch. That being said I am thinking of trying the 832 6 and 10 pound lime green. Eye sight not as good as it used to be and I want to see my line, so I need (want) a colored line. I looking for opinions of those of you who have used both. I am using is strictly on spinning gear. casting distance is important. Fishing a lot of 1/16 oz. jigs, lighter hair jigs and using it for rippin raps, shiver minnows and lindy riggin.
    Overall I am happy with the Nanofil but, it is time to look around.
    So give me your opinions.

Thanks, Doug

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I can’t comment on 832 but Nano vs. Power Pro it’s a no brainer Nano is the winner…A few comments below:

1. The wind knots with Nano virtually disappear
    2. That weird sound going through your guides when you cast doesn’t happen with Nano.
    3. It casts 20% farther than Power Pro (I’m sure 832 as well).
    4. It doesn’t twist as bad as Power Pro (I’m sure 832 as well).

As far as tensile/knot strength I found if you go up in test with Nano it really helps and you don’t notice any performance difference. For example, I would normally use 10 lb Power pro and now use 12 lb Nano and it fixes the issues I listed above. Also, the best knot (by a long shot) is the line to lure double uni knot. Beats the Nanofill knot (a double polamar) in knot wars every time. Easy to tie once you get the hang of it. If anybody thinks they have a better one let me know and I’ll test by tying two jig heads and seeing which knot breaks first. Have yet to see a knot beat it with any line (mono, braid, flour, etc…). Too bad it was never featured in the old Berkeley knot war segments. Try it and your knot strength issues with Nano might just go away. I can tie it in 1/8 the time this guy in the video does.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There is nothing that compares to nanofil for casting distance. Suffix 832 won’t even be close. I personally didn’t like 832 at all. One of my least favorite braids. It’s didn’t seem very durable and was very noisy going through the eyes of the rod.

My favorite braid is Power Pro Super Slick. They make it in high vis yellow but you probably have to order it online. Nobody stocks it in that color. It has very good casting distance but it’s not going to be as good as nanofil. Much more durable and ties much better though.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Oh, and please learn to tie the Alberto knot. It’s one of the easiest and strongest line to line knots. My personal favorite.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

The Alberto is good but the FG might be the best. I’ve tried both but the thing I like about the FG is how slim it is. I like to tie a 15 to 20 foot leader and bury it in my spool. I don’t even notice it’s there.

I’ve recently learned to tie it by putting tension with your fingers and really keeps the coils tight like the guy in the video. Much better than holding it in your teeth to get tension like I did before.

As a note – This is not an easy knot to master. The Alberto is much easier but I’ve seen those unravel on me more than once. Most likely from too many wraps.

B-man

Trying nano for the first time this year.

The jury is still out for me. It does cast nice, but I question the abrasion resistance.

All superlines are pretty low in that department, but from what I’ve seen it isn’t any better, or even worse than some…..????

I went with 12lb just because I’ve heard of the knot strength horror stories. From my experience it’s probably not the knot failing…..but a break from a nick just above the knot.

So far my impression is kinda meh….

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

B-man, I’d say nanofil has its place. I wouldn’t call it your everyday braid. I’d use it almost strictly for its castability and only when it’s needed. Light lures cast a long distance is where it’s at.

I’d say it’s worse in the abrasion dept. Far worse than the better braids.

B-man

B-man, I’d say nanofil has its place. I wouldn’t call it your everyday braid. I’d use it almost strictly for its castability and only when it’s needed. Light lures cast a long distance is where it’s at.

I’d say it’s worse in the abrasion dept. Far worse than the better braids.

Yeah I found myself re-tying several times a day. Not a deal-breaker…..but keep a close eye on the last two feet so you don’t have a heart-breaker on a big fish.

12 pound turns into 2 pound pretty quick.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t use it where icing could be an issue either. Peeling the ice off the line will fray it very very easily.

B-man

Don’t use it where icing could be an issue either. Peeling the ice off the line will fray it very very easily.

The search for the perfect line continues jester

What’s so hard about making a 50 lb line, with a 1 lb diameter, with the abrasion resist of Blue Label, and casts 2x as far as Nanofil???

Am I asking too much?? lol

basseyes

Personally like nano. Fish lighter jigs a lot and the casting distance is un matched compared to suffix.

Knot strength and abrasion resistance is not perfect, but is very tolerable if you pay attention to your line and knots.

If someone wasn’t really contentious about frays in the line or knots, I’d probably look at something different. Not something I’d use in areas with heavy debris where the line would be rubbing on tree limbs, docks, really rocky areas with heavier jigs or in weeds like cabbage.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve heard great stuff about Spiderline invisibraid. I’m going to try that a try in a new reel.

I have been a big fan of 832 until a recent trip to Florida. Casting in strong wind wreaked havoc with it. I was casting with the same setup as the guide but he had the spider wire and never bird nested.

rmartin
    United States

Nano, too much fraying and having to retie for my liking. If it stayed the same as it is off the spool, would be great, but gets frayed too soon. Have not tried the 832.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I’m not sure everyone’s on the same page here. Some seem to be talking Nanofil, some Nanobraid. I tried Nanobraid after having fraying issues with Nanofil. Nanobraid is much better in my opinion.

Attachments:
    1. Nanobraid.jpg

2. Nanofil.jpg

McCrappie
    Maple Grove

I started with 832 and loved it then nano came out and tried it and ended up switching all the rods with nano couldn’t believe how much farther you could cast and I’m a bank beater that mainly fish rivers and I cast bombs almost every cast.. Then came the flying lures, hook set break offs, I thought I was good at inspecting my knots and line but not good enough so after paying more attention I noticed my problem was the line fraying made some adjustments the break offs weren’t as frequent. Then I tried 832 again and was satisfied with distance and even more pleased with knot/line strength felt like I could pull a tree in with the 10lb. So end of story I switched back to 832 after giving nano a shot for a solid 3 maybe 4 years. I’m willing to give up a few feet in distance for miles of knot/line strength which ultimately means confidence for me.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I’ve tried both . Hated 832 , love nanofil. I like it especially for light panfish jigs . Casts really well and respools well .

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

As far as visibility goes , they do make nanofil in hi vis yellow

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think nanofil is garbage as far as how easily it frays, is nano braid any better? Or need to check out some of the other slick lines?

B-man

I’m not sure everyone’s on the same page here. Some seem to be talking Nanofil, some Nanobraid. I tried Nanobraid after having fraying issues with Nanofil. Nanobraid is much better in my opinion.

I might have to give Nanobraid a try next, especially if you say the abrasion resistance is better.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have 2 rods with both three pound and 2 with six pound Nanofil and all are used for vertical jigging applications where there is nothing for the line to scuff on. I have tried Nanofil for casting on Lake Superior but anywhere a person can cast will have rocks and the Nanofil has very poor abrasion resistance.

The two 6 pound rods I love in cold weather walleye jigging applications where things can be kept vertical and lures light. The two 3 pound rods are used for dock fishing in both very early spring and fall where working lures around pilings can be crazy good fishing.

Nanolfil is tough per advertised breaking weight and I find it to be super sensitive with really light jigs, which I tie directly to the line….no mono or fluoro of any kind between the Nano and lure. I’ll note that I use the crystal color exclusively.

For the line to lure knot, I slip the lure/jig on and up the line a ways, then tie a small noose in the tag end. Double double knot the noose. The noose is slipped back over the main line and jig, the noose snugged up to the main line. The tag from the knot snipped leaving about 3/16 of an inch and the knot pulled tight. Its fast, holds very secure to the eye of the hook. The double knot for the noose prevents slippage there and when the noose is tightened over the main line it clamps right down and prevents any slippage at that point. As I indicated, this is a quick and simple knot and the beauty of it is that when tying with cold fingers or those needing visual help the noose can be made much wider on the main line to help out and it doesn’t matter since the noose gets tightened. I don’t think I have ever had a knot fail with Nano or other braids using the knot. I have had line fail and break, but knot at the knot.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve used the nanobraid as well. I tried it because I though the braid aspect would improve the durability and have similar casting distance as nanofil. I didn’t find the improvement in durability to be worth the loss in casting distance. I also had numerous issues with wind knots. At least with nanofil a wind knot could be simply pulled out. Nanobraid, not so much. Thumbs down for me.

basseyes

I’ve used the nanobraid as well. I tried it because I though the braid aspect would improve the durability and have similar casting distance as nanofil. I didn’t find the improvement in durability to be worth the loss in casting distance. I also had numerous issues with wind knots. At least with nanofil a wind knot could be simply pulled out. Nanobraid, not so much. Thumbs down for me.

Great review! Thanks.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve used 832 for years now, and really like it. Might try something else if/when it ever wears out! Only complaint w/ 832 is the Hi-Vis Lime Green faded pretty quickly to an almost white.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Only complaint w/ 832 is the Hi-Vis Lime Green faded pretty quickly to an almost white.

Forgot about that. Yet another reason I hated it.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I’ve used them all and what I have settled on is the fireline ultra 8 carrier. It is some tough stuff that flies off the spool. I’m not sure what colors it comes in. I always just use the crystal color. I still use nanofil but that’s only when I’m using lures smaller than 1/16 jigging for panfish.

B-man

Any good old Fireline lovers out there??

I have to say it’s probably my favorite for pitching, casting and jigging, but I haven’t tried every new line out there…..

Edit: I was typing when you were Jeff. I haven’t tried the new stuff yet.

blank

I have to say it’s probably my favorite for pitching, casting and jigging, but I haven’t tried every new line out there…..

I’ve been a Fireline lover. I found a good deal on a spool of Nanofil at Fleet Farm a few months ago and thought I’d give it a whirl after hearing good things about it, but you guys are scaring me a little with all of this knot strength and fraying comments.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Love me some Fireline!

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I personally strongly dislike Nanofil. I’ve never seen a weaker superline in terms of abrasion resistance. I would only use it if there’s absolutely nothing in the water to rub on. How often does that happen?

Sufix 832 is my braid of choice. Good price. Widely available. Tough as heck. Fades about the same as most braids. When I get tired of that, I reel it onto another spool and reverse it. The use of a line conditioner like KVD Line and Lure will help braid hold its color longer.

Another great line is Daiwa Samurai, but it’s very expensive. It’s the smoothest braid I’ve used. The West Coast bass guys use a lot of it. I don’t see any deficits aside from price. It’s a little thinner and softer than most braids, so I upsize a notch. Online bass tackle retailers like Tackle Warehouse will be having some spring 15-20% off sales in the next month.

B-man

My favorite braid is Power Pro Super Slick. They make it in high vis yellow but you probably have to order it online. Nobody stocks it in that color. It has very good casting distance but it’s not going to be as good as nanofil. Much more durable and ties much better though.

Good to hear you like it.

I picked up a clearance spool of 10lb Super Slick in brown at Scheel’s a couple weeks ago. Haven’t tried it yet, but it will probably be replacing the Nanofil when I give up on it……

I can see Nanofil filling a role, but jigging and casting rivers for walleyes isn’t one of them.

I might get some 4 or 6 pound for inland panfish, but I think that’s about it for me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.