Issues with Cabelas AGM batteries?

• usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Took one of my less than 14 month old AGM batteries back to Cabelas after it failed. The customer service rep said there were a number of them returned recently and he needed to get a manager for the return to authorize it. Any one else have any issues with these.

Side note, the return on that battery has seriously made me rethink my loyalty/patronage of Cabelas. Absolutely poor customer service.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Took one of my less than 14 month old AGM batteries back to Cabelas after it failed. The customer service rep said there were a number of them returned recently and he needed to get a manager for the return to authorize it. Any one else have any issues with these.

Side note, the return on that battery has seriously made me rethink my loyalty/patronage of Cabelas. Absolutely poor customer service.

I don’t understand the problem. Having a manager handle your case was poor customer service?

loonswail
    Ankeny, IA

I, personally, have NEVER had any issues what-so-ever with Cabela’s service.
    Been a Cabela’s customer for years as have my two brothers who are also lifelong Cabela’s customers. They are ALWAYS eager to please and have been more than happy to accept returns, usually, no questions asked. As for consulting a manager, isn’t that protocol for any business?
    Hopefully, your situation has been resolved. I’ve used those batteries and have had zero problems. Good luck in the future..

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Issue started with the lack of a receipt on my account, got it should have the receipt. Except, the battery has CABELAs name on it, The manufacturing stamp that showd 2014, the date I bought it cut out on the top, and the advertising sticker on top that is marked with the “No hassel” 18 month return on it. Manager was only going to allow me to have $75 dollars towards a new battery. She said that is what the lowest price in their system was. I remarked to her that if that was the lowest price I would take 3, she got snooty with me and said “See now your contradicting yourself, you said if there was an on-going issue you did not want the battery” Went down hill from there. For the record I paid $169 fo the batter 14 months ago and the Marine manager in back while getting the replacement battery remarked they had never sold that AGM for $75

And yep, long time customer of Cabelas as well, I have spent a lot of money with them and have a Cabelas Club visa (Black) since 2003. Which is the card I used to buy the battery so I thought they had a record in their system to verify my purchase from THAT store. First time I have had any issue with them. I did not need the patronizing, condensending, flippent attitude from the Customer service rep who told me she was doing me a favor while she acted as if I was trying to take advantage of the company.

I dont know if she was having a bad day, I really dont care. I did not need the attitude or the implied lack of integrety of my intentions.

rmartin
    United States

Had that happen before with batteries. Some will even try to keep the warranty the same length as the original and not give you a new one. My Cabelas AGM battery has had no issues in 6 years.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

wow that sounds terrible and frankly, as a long time cablas customer too, suprising. Which store did you experience this at?

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not sure if this link works, but it does show that the lowest price for that battery is $75, but I can’t see what day that was.

https://trackif.com/domains/cabelas.com/52e81ef5c41a666c3c00caa5/Cabela-s-Advanced-Anglers-AGM-Battery-Size-27

It’s possible they are having issues with the batteries and temporarily lowered the price to $75 for a very short period of time for this exact reason, to minimize expense coming in with all the returns. Seems shady, but possible.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Thanks Phill that is the battery in question. The overall issue (to me at least) was her implication on my intentions and character and not the price. This price could have contributed to her belief and subsequent comments that got me going.
    Crappie, it was one of the Minnesota stores. Would rather not go down that road……
    My initial point on this post was to determine if there is an issue with these batteries. Especially based on the first customer service rep and his statement that they had been getting a lot of them back lately. The one that I took back only showed 5.4 V on the meter when Batteries Plus tested it. It should have read 11.2 minimum according to them. I paid the higher price for the AGM for the longevity as well as performance. BUT, that obviously did not work out with this last battery.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I believe they did offer that battery for $75 dollars recently. They changed the terminals and the packaging (sticker on the side). They were closing out the old style last year. I just missed the last group 31 by a couple of hours. I think it went for $90. I surly would have taken it over the $169 sale price I got on the new ones. I have had good luck with all ones I have purchased from them. And that is at least 10 since they started offering them. Things go easier when you have a recite. I lable all my batts with the purchase date and the warr period so I know at a glance.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Gizmoguy, I borrowed a sharpie before I left the customer service counter and wrote the date down on the top of the battery for that exact reason. Her comment when she saw me doing that “Sir that will not do anything unless you have the receipt.”
    I was already done with her, thanked the other rep who gave me the sharpie, did not respond to the comment and just left.
    I did call the Customer Service number on the back of my CC from the car after I cooled down. That rep was very nice and apologetic, started to offer gift cards etc. Told her that I had not called about the incident in question to try to get free stuff, but to express my frustration with the incident.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Something I recently started doing with new batteries is taping the receipt to them. I have taken too many back without one. Who saves receipts for years on small stuff?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.