Maybe just a dream but….

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

After living in the city, on a busy street for 17 years, and haveing to back my boat across 3 lanes of traffic we have the itch to possibly build!
    We are looking at a lot out in the country that will need a well but already has the septic system installed. We can afford the lot no problem. What I am looking for is a way to ballpark what it would cost to build. Is there anybody out there who builds that can give me some sort of formula (I am thinking along the lines of so many $ per square foot on average)so I have some sort of an idea of what to expect? I understand that cost can vary widely with different ammenities and type and quality of materials and things like flooring and cabinets so what I want is an average… a starting point. the lot we are looking at is in the town of Shelby (near La Crosse) and is slightly slopped. We are looking at a walk out ranch type of design. The only things we know we want for sure are a wood buring fire place and a master bathroom.

Anybody out there have any idea of what I am looking at?

Thanks in advance!
    Labman

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

$125.00 to $175.00 a sq. foot good starting points. You will how ever end up spending 20% more than you are planing, its just the way it goes.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

labman-I can talk to a few contractor’s I work with and see what they charge for our area. It seems like Stick Boy’s prices are fairly close for this area as well as his area.
    Biggest thing is, is once you have your budget set, try to keep with it. Too many people go way over budget and get in a huge bind. Not saying you are like that or will do it, but I see it more often than not. Good thing about the LaCrosse area is there are a lot of reputable builders, but there are also some pretty bad ones as well.

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks guys. Watts I here what your saying. I am pretty sure we could do that if I can keep the FW out of it!
    Actually, We both are pretty good at knowing what we want and not changeing it in the middle. Stick, if we do this, I definetly plan on haveing a contingancy fund for any unexpected overages. We are both pretty simple and down to earth type of people, so a laminate counter top, vinyl flooring (maybe a little wood laminate )and eat in kitchen type of home would suit us just fine. In fact If I get woken up by one more semi down shifting past my house at 2:00AM I would settle for a pop up camper in the country !

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

labman,

Depending on what you are looking for… we are selling our place… 5+ acres in a country setting less than a mile from convienences (grocery, gas, etc). All ready set for livestock. At a decent price considering today’s slump in home markets. North of the cities… PM me if interested.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.