Smoking Chicken Thighs

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Any smoke just chicken thighs? Do you or did you brine them the night before? I know when I do whole birds I put a rub on brine them, rinse them, then rub them again and inject before smoking. Just wondering if same principals for just the thighs or am I over thinking it?

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

You could. It’s all to your taste. It can be as complicated as anything. Or it could be real simple… like the BBQ Pit Boys. They are real characters and fun to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8wKvRC_UYQ

Personally, I marinade for an hour or two, no rub or sauce. I found that if you have young kids like mine – the more complicated you make the flavor or the more you layer flavor(s) the more they get turned off because it no longer tastes like “chicken.” I may inject the smaller thighs of a larger group with chicken noodle soup (liquid only) to keep them moist while the larger thighs finish. Good luck! Yes the photo is from my phone but I am a nerd on a BBQ team.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

I personnally like to brine mine. I just replace the water with apple juice.

Good stuff.

D

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I brine all poultry as well. Individual pieces will definitely cook faster.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What is a basic brine? Salt and water?

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Here is one

1 gallon cold water
    1/2 cup kosher salt (reduce to 1/4 cup if using regular table salt.)
    2/3 cup light brown sugar

Do a search online for brine and the world is your oyster.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I use that as a base and also will add red wine, olive oil, and red pepper flakes for a little spice to it as well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.