Rod Rack in Garage

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Anybody have any design ideas for a rod rack in a garage? The ceilings are 8′ so I’m thinking I want to do horizontal rod racks instead of vertical. The ceiling could be an option as well. I have rods ranging from 6-8 feet. Thanks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A simple, inexpensive way to store my rods above and in my garage was to use 2″ PVC.

I cut short pieces about 1″ long and screwed them to one of the beams. On another beam I’ve screwed in the same size pvc, but cut out one side to make the shape of a “C”. This allows the handle to be placed in the holder from the side.

Works very well and almost costs nothing but a few minutes time to make.

drechsler
    ia.east side scott co.

i used 1×2’s 18 ins. down from my truss and 6 ft. wide 2 to 3 truss accross. then i took u shaped bicycle hooks to hang the poles from. but my garage walls are 10 ft. high, but i hope thi gives you some ideas.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Here’s a thread that talks about this very subject. If you do a search for “rod racks”(with quotations) you’ll find a wealth of options and opinions.

I still have the one pictured in the link above and it still works great!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Open rafters or is it sheet rocked? Mine are open and I like the system I have. I’ll snap a photo this evening.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Anybody have any design ideas for a rod rack in a garage? The ceilings are 8′ so I’m thinking I want to do horizontal rod racks instead of vertical. The ceiling could be an option as well. I have rods ranging from 6-8 feet. Thanks.

Dan swing over to my place and take a look at the rod rack I have in the garage next time your in the neighborhood.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I made some similar to what the salt water boats have on their ceilings. I used cedar (soft wood) and routed them.
    They have hooks for the rod tip ends. I used a drill press
    to make holes for the butt ends. Use adequate mounting to support the weight. Mine hold 16 rods and with reels mounted they do get heavy.
    They are installed above and between the door roller tracks.

kroger3
    blaine mn

not exactly horizontal or in the garage but here is one of my home made ones made for about 10 bucks from a 1×4, 1×2, wooded clothes pins, and some screws.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Uffda, that’s an old but good thread Blue!

I’ve changed the holders since that time…were you even born when that was posted?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ve done two different ceiling racks. My old garage was sheetrocked. In that one, I used a 8 foot 1 x 4 for the handle end, and a couple of squares of 2 x 4 between the 1 x 4 and the ceiling to drop it down far enough for the handles to fit. On the other end, I staggered shorter pieces of 1 x 4 with hooks at varying distances from the handle end for the middle of the rods. I had hooks at 3 feet for rods 6 feet and shorter, and 4 feet for rods 6 foot and over. I could hold about 30 rods.

My pole barn just has open trusses. I made a very similar setup between trusses by mounting a 2 X 4 across the bottom of two trusses for the handle end, and another one across the top of two trusses with hooks in it for the rod middles. They hang level that way and the number of rods I could store is endless. I only own about 25 rods, so I am far from full yet.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

I installed mine on the ceiling so they are up and out of the way. I used 1×2’s and double hook coat hooks. Cost me about 25 bucks, and I can store like 20 rods.

I put the coat hooks on the rack about 2 inches apart. Used two 1×2’s and spaced them about 5 ft apart, this will accommodate 5ft to 8ft plus rods. And I was able to put the hooks closer together, by placing the rods alternately on the hooks. (butt end, rod tip end, butt end, etc. )

I will take a pic tonight when I get home.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for all of the advice. I’m thinking the ceiling is the best way to go. It is a finished sheetrock ceiling.

I’m leaning towards something I can put rods into while its on the ceiling but then also doing the hinge idea like Blue has. As of my last count, I think I have about 30 rods.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

If you plan to hinge it, you might want to build a couple of them if you are going to hang 30 rods.

sandmannd

Quote:

Here’s a thread that talks about this very subject. If you do a search for “rod racks”(with quotations) you’ll find a wealth of options and opinions.

I love your rod holder in that thread Blue!

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I just built a rod holder into the ceiling of my basement and it works great. I took a hole saw to a 1×4 for the butt ends and mounted talon pipe clamps that I got from menards on the side edge of another 1×4 and spaced them about 5 feet away from each other. Total investment was maybe 15 bucks.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

My simple rod rack works great and I love it. Line up 3-4 bike hooks in two lines approximately 5 ‘ away (front and back). Thread a looped rope between each hook. Your rods rest on the rope both front and back. When you need more space, add another hook and rope. I have 30-40 rods right above my head when in the boat and reach up and grab what i need. $10 will get you plenty of hooks and rope and the rods rest nicely on the rope without sliding back and forth. If you want to get really technical, you can braid your rope and slide the butts in the braids.

toothycritters

I nailed 2×4’s in the rafters, just slide the rods in and right above my boat!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

A quick trip to a home improvement store. Buy some plastic lattice and you instantly have a rod rack for your garage
    I hung my above my boat.
    Give me a call and I will hold your beer while you are on the ladder
    After all what are friends for…..

Ron

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

here is what i have set up Fife.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I love your rod holder in that thread Blue!

Thanks! Been over 5yrs now and it still functions perfectly!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Slider, I see you have “The Sickness” too….

-J.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

-J.

Your only seeing half of them…….
    I can’t put them all out in the open as the FW might find out how many rods I own

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

I can’t put them all out in the open as the FW might find out how many rods I own

Well, as long as she knows not to sell them for what you told her you paid!

-J.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Lots of great ideas…Thanks! I’ll be moving into the house in 3 weeks and will see which design will fit best.

I’m saving some of these pictures incase my fiance tries to use the “too many rods” card. I overcome it now by buying two of everything for fishing so I can say I bought her one too.

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Lots of great ideas…Thanks! I’ll be moving into the house in 3 weeks and will see which design will fit best.

I’m saving some of these pictures incase my fiance tries to use the “too many rods” card. I overcome it now by buying two of everything for fishing so I can say I bought her one too.

oh….don’t be dragging us down with you….

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

48 Hr rule takes precedent.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

48 Hr rule takes precedent.

You want to tell HER that……..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Cheap and effecitve for the unfinished garage.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.