Electronics….where to start?

• Jackie Moon

I didn’t submit this in the electronics sub-forum, because I have no idea what brand I’m getting.

Figured it is time to upgrade the electronics in my boat. I’m still using the original gen1 HDS graphs and Structure Scan gen1.

Looking at two 8-9″ screens for the console. I am not brand loyal, and am open to all options.

I need 2D, side/down scan, mapping. I have no plans for live scope type features at this time.

I’ve looked at the Lowrance Hook reveal 9, Lowrance Elite 9, Garmin echomap 93sv, and a few others.

It seems like Garmin may be best bang for the buck, but what are some suggestions? What brand/model should I be buying, and why?

Or is there no reason to upgrade from my Gen1 HDS units?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I would suggest Garmin mainly due to ease of use. We all agree they all have there strong suits and this is better than that or whatever. I have the 93uhd and plan to add a 106 soon. If side imaging is what you like best than Bird is the best in that game.

Charles

Go with 2 10″ at the console. 10″ will give you visibility in bright light with any side imaging

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I just added another garmin uhd 93sv to my boat. I agree they are the best bang for your buck. Pretty easy to use and the imaging is just as good as the others. The only down side is you cant use i polit link with them and a minnkota you have to get a garmin trolling motor for that.

Jackie Moon

I just added another garmin uhd 93sv to my boat. I agree they are the best bang for your buck. Pretty easy to use and the imaging is just as good as the others. The only down side is you cant use i polit link with them and a minnkota you have to get a garmin trolling motor for that.

Honestly, the trolling motor link is not something I’m concerned with, due to my fishing style.

Jackie Moon

Go with 2 10″ at the console. 10″ will give you visibility in bright light with any side imaging

I’m looking more for brand/model suggestion. I’ll always go with the biggest I can afford.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

What’s the advantage of having two units at the console? It seems to me that it would be better to use the money and space to purchase just one bigger unit. Then if you want two screens, you can run a split screen on the bigger unit. But if you want the biggest side image possible, use the top half for side imaging and the bottom half for mapping. I have a Humminbird 12″ and often run side imaging in the top half, mapping in the bottom left, and down imaging in the bottom right. Or if I’m scanning a sand flat, I might run the side imaging full screen. Or if I’m up on plane, I might run the mapping full screen. I just think you get the best of both worlds using one bigger unit.

Jackie Moon

What’s the advantage of having two units at the console? It seems to me that it would be better to use the money and space to purchase just one bigger unit. Then if you want two screens, you can run a split screen on the bigger unit. But if you want the biggest side image possible, use the top half for side imaging and the bottom half for mapping. I have a Humminbird 12″ and often run side imaging in the top half, mapping in the bottom left, and down imaging in the bottom right. Or if I’m scanning a sand flat, I might run the side imaging full screen. Or if I’m up on plane, I might run the mapping full screen. I just think you get the best of both worlds using one bigger unit.

For quality of imaging, I like to use 1 dedicated screen for imaging, and then one for 2D & mapping split screen.

Even a large screen, when you split it up into 3-4 sections, it gets too small IMO.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I had 2 garmin 93sv on last boat and really liked them. I now have a hds 12 and 9 and really like them. But if I were to buy them all again I would go with the garmins, I got a can’t pass price on my hds units second hand. The garmin is simple, easy to use and get tuned in and has good mapping.

isu22andy

10 inch screen minimum . Wish I would have went 12 ! Buddy of mine thought I was nuts going SI instead of livescope till he saw SI on a 10 inch screen vs a 7 .

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I just took my boat in to get upgraded on Monday, I went with Garmin. A 93sv at the bow and two 126sv’s at the console. I got the 93sv for $679 and the 126sv were $1700 each,I will then get the upgraded gt56 transducer. I will add livescope soon.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Another vote for garmin here. I don’t think you can really go wrong but garmins ease of use is incredible.

I’ve had a few 93 and 73’s on the boat…I’m not a tinkerer on electronics and I feel like the ease of use allows me to get quick reads and fish.

I’d also mention the garmin as an ice unit is just a good as anything out there if you ice fish.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boone wrote:</div>

For quality of imaging, I like to use 1 dedicated screen for imaging, and then one for 2D & mapping split screen.

Even a large screen, when you split it up into 3-4 sections, it gets too small IMO.

It seems to me that the quality of a side image is directly related to the horizontal width of the screen. The more horizontal pixels you have the better image definition you’ll get. The vertical length of the screen just shows the “history” of what you’ve already imaged, with the bottom part of the image showing the oldest information. For 2D, I don’t think the screen width is as important as it is with side imaging, but more width will show more “history” in that case.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But if you have a chance, jump in someone’s boat that has a 10 or 12 inch screen and see how you like it. Or maybe you can do that at the store in demo mode or something.

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you ice fish, you’ll want a Garmin because you’ll eventually go for Livescope…you can move the screen between the boat and a mobile shuttle very easily…

Red Eye

Lake Master only works with birds. That’s enough for me to stick with humminbird.

Stanley

Another vote For garmin. I have a 93sv and a helix 7 in my boat and while the mapping is maybe a little better with the lakemaster chip the garmin is so much easier to use and I haven’t had any issues with the preloaded maps that come on garmin for the lakes I fish and that’s comparing it to the current version of lakemaster in my helix. If it wasn’t for having an I pilot link trolling motor with DI I would be all garmin. The ease of use for me is worth more than a slight edge in mapping.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lake Master only works with birds. That’s enough for me to stick with humminbird.

Garmin is a gps company. That will only get better as time goes on.

mojogunter

For me I think that Humminbirds have the best SI by quite a bit, and I like the Lakemaster mapping. I like everything else better on the Garmin’s. I am running two birds and two Garmin’s to get the best of everything for my taste. If you can get into boats running different brands in real life situations to see what you like best, would be the best thing for you. If you don’t have access to see different brands first hand think about what you use the most. If SI is what you use the most I would go with a bird. If you ever change your mind and want go with a livescope or panoptix you will regret the bird, or you can add a screen later.

Aboxy17

The Garmin 93sv is $699 right now at Scheels I would get one or two while you can. I love my 73sv but am looking to upgrade to the 93. Mapping on the Garmin is very very good I used it all winter.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Garmin already owns Navionics and their units come preloaded with it. I prefer navionics far and above lake master, and even if you prefer lake master the fact that you don’t need to spend an extra $150 for some maps is a huge value in the nickel and dime game that is fishing electronics. I keep my helix 7 in the bow as a secondary si unit but I’ve switched to Garmin and am not looking back at all.

Karry Kyllo

I have Humminbird, Lowrance and Garmin with both Navionics and Lakemaster maps of some of the same lakes. Unless something has recently changed, Lakemaster maps are quite a bit more detailed than Navioics maps on the lakes that I fish. Lakemaster maps show features that don’t even show up on my navionics maps.
    If I have to pay extra for Lakemaster maps, I will and considering how much I have invested in fishing, I consider it a small price to pay to get the best maps that I can.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Always had Lowrance until I got a new boat that had Garmin. Not looking back, love my Garmin’s.

Stanley

The Garmin 93sv is $699 right now at Scheels I would get one or two while you can. I love my 73sv but am looking to upgrade to the 93. Mapping on the Garmin is very very good I used it all winter.

The ones on sale at scheels have the gt54 transducer not the new gt56 just to clarify. Still a very good deal and if you have a new one with the gt56 you can link them together and use the newer ducer.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

I’m with the Garmin crew. I have three 93sv units on my boat and I really like them. So much better than the helix units I had. The ease of use, touchscreen make them so much nicer to use. I think the mapping and imaging is really good as well.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I am truly blown away by the number of guys that have 3 to 4 graphs and 5k plus in electronics on a boat. Just saying.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am truly blown away by the number of guys that have 3 to 4 graphs and 5k plus in electronics on a boat. Just saying.

It’s pretty common now days. My electronics are worth more then my boat.

Stanley

Kind of makes you wonder how we caught fish in the past without all the new stuff we have these days. jester

Smellson

You’re not gonna beat the Garmin 93sv from a price standpoint. Built in maps along with si di and the option of livescope down the road. The gt54 leaves A LOT to be desired on the side imaging quality, but for $700 it’s well worth it.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m a Humminbird guy. The livescope style setups don’t appeal to me that much with how I fish predominately on the river targeting walleyes, saugers, and perch that do not suspend that often. I also rarely sit still fishing and am always moving either trolling 2-3mph with cranks, pulling spinners and bouncers, drifting/slipping the current. I probably go right by good fish that I could sit on more with live imaging and coerce, but that’s just not my way of doing things.

Side imaging is the best way to cover large chunks of water looking for either pods of fish OR just transition areas that you know fish frequent. As previously stated…if side imaging is going to be your main tool – Humminbird wins hands down. If you are looking for the live imaging capabilities and most user friendly right out of the box, definitely go Garmin.

I will stay invested with Humminbird as long as I keep this boat. If I switch rigs, I’d sell the graphs with it and reevaluate brand at that point.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

As a dinosaur I only have 2 graphs on my boat. Everyone else probably is just a way better angler than I though waytogo

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.