Cheap backup flathead rig

• Grizper

So my main rigs are 6’6 St. Croix heavy power rods with Abu 6500 c3 reels. I want to get a few cheap setups for backups and friends to use. I’m thinking ugly stick heavy action with a Penn 209 reel. Was wondering what you guys like for your main rigs and backups. If you can’t tell I’m starting to get that itch to be back on the river. waytogo

catnip
    south metro

The ugly sticks are good rods, I haven’t broke one yet. Never used a Penn though.

TMF89

The Ugly Stik rods are fine, really any cheap fiberglass rod will do. I wouldn’t recommend skimping too much on the reels though, that drag is going to be what you really want to be concerned about, at least over the life of the reel.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

My backup to the backup flathead rod is a Shakespeare Alpha 8′ rod with an old Mitchell 306 on it. Both the rod and reel are pretty cheap and indestructable and can be found pretty cheap. I’d put that rig with 65-80lb braid up against anything that swims in MN.

If you are in the TC, JR’s in Brooklyn Park always has Alpha rods that were demos or whatever for pretty cheap, and eBay is a good place for old Mitchell reels.

Example of Mitchell 306 on eBay

shawnil

I’ve had decent look with those Shakespeare SKP2000s, there’s an eBay seller that always seems to have some good catfish reels for sale…think he’s a saltwater guy. Just picked up a Tidewater freeliner spinning reel that was real nice from them. Ed-n-Carole. Sells a lot of reels, different makes.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Ugly stick and Rhino rods…I started with the cheap stuff 20 years ago, still use it now and then…

Mitch Harmston
    Menomonie WI

I would check out Cabelas King Cat rods. They are super tough and great for night fishing. I have caught quite a few flats over 40″ on my 7′ medium setups. I really wish I would have purchased the 8′ version instead, but I use the 7′ rods for inside setups. They go on sale a few times every year for $20, tough to beat IMO

Mitch Harmston
    Menomonie WI

I would check into Cabelas King Cat rods. Extremely strong and a great night fishing rod too. I use two 7′ medium rods and have quite a few fish over 40″ on them. I really wish I would have gotten the 8′ rods however. I got them for $20 each on sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-king-kat-reg-casting-rods/738559.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dking%252Bcat%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=king+cat

Mitch Harmston
    Menomonie WI

Gonna bump this thread, just saw that the King Kat rods were on sale again, click on the link I posted above. Very hard to go wrong with this $20 rod

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not to be a poo pooer, but I felt the King Cat rods were too whippy for my liking. Personal preference here. They did catch fish.

Great price though.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The Rippin Lips Catfish Gear rods are S-Glass. Very light weight and comfortable. I use a few as back up musky rods. Good value for a quality rod. As for the Penns, I saved all mine from trolling lake MI and use them on flats. Just turn the clicker off and they work well.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve been using Whisker Seeker Tackle rods…both the 7-6 and the 9-6 rods. I really like them and the price is not outrageous. I have some ABU 6500’s and 7000’s but I switched a couple years ago to the Penn Squalls that I really like. They are very tough reels and cast a mile. The drag is pretty smooth…no complaints and cheaper than the ABU’s.

I also use the WST 7-6 spinning rods matched up with some Penn Fierce reels that I like for channel cats. They’ll do the job on blues and flatheads too though and I would use them on sturgeon…if I had sturgeon around here.

Good luck boys…the cats are biting right now…go git some!!!

L8R…Ken

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.