An actual fishing related question

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thank you.

I haven’t dug into this at all yet. Can I expect to pay 1K, 2K, 3K for a installed unit?

Ripjiggen

I troll is about 400-500 for unit cant imagine it takes more than an hour for install.

snelson223
    Austin MN

If you have a choice get an EFI kicker.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

I run a 2021 9.9 zuk on a 19′ tin boat. Max mph I get is 6 mph wide open. If you’re thinking of higher speeds, maybe the 15 is better. Also on the kicker speed systems… I’ve been messing with using my trolling motor for speed control. I can not wait until I’m able to upgrade with a kicker speed control module/decice. Some weather days it works perfect and other weather days it’s a struggle. Which one is still up to debate.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I run a 2021 9.9 zuk on a 19′ tin boat. Max mph I get is 6 mph wide open. If you’re thinking of higher speeds, maybe the 15 is better. Also on the kicker speed systems… I’ve been messing with using my trolling motor for speed control. I can not wait until I’m able to upgrade with a kicker speed control module/decice. Some weather days it works perfect and other weather days it’s a struggle. Which one is still up to debate.

Are you talking about wind being a problem or something else?

Ripjiggen

There is a 15 mecr pro kicker on marketplace now.

Ripjiggen

Is it a a true kicker motor or just a regular 9.9…big difference.

If you need to go that speed into big waves you are not fishing reguardless. With the waves no problem. Been out on Lake Michigan in 6-8 ft rollers and can go that speed but you are not doing it for long. You are going with the waves and at that point 4 mph you might have you kicker in neutral.

Dutch I will run my kicker at full speed and report back on to what top speed I get but 4 mph I am not close to maxing out.

At that point you may as well just run the big motor.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Are you talking about wind being a problem or something else?

Pretty much.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>beardly wrote:</div>

Is it a a true kicker motor or just a regular 9.9…big difference.

If you need to go that speed into big waves you are not fishing reguardless. With the waves no problem. Been out on Lake Michigan in 6-8 ft rollers and can go that speed but you are not doing it for long. You are going with the waves and at that point 4 mph you might have you kicker in neutral.

Dutch I will run my kicker at full speed and report back on to what top speed I get but 4 mph I am not close to maxing out.

At that point you may as well just run the big motor.

It is a kicker with the 4 blade prop. Agree on the rest of your post.

Red Reno

Dutch, I have had the “Big 2” Troll Master and ITroll for years. The ITroll is a very good unit but the troll master is not completely waterproof and therefor lots of problems 1 to 2 years into it(right after the warranty expires) or right after the first time you fish in the rain with it. A few years ago I stumbled on a guy that makes Troll Smarter and he is some guy that is a farmer and didn’t like the way his John Deere throttle works so he made his own speed system for it and it is exactly the same as the trolling one for the kicker. It is about 1/2 the cost as an ITroll and waterproof. I installed my first one by myself and it was a piece of cake and I am not mechanically gifted. On my last boat I had to purchase a kicker and just had them install it. The mechanic said the directions and things with it made it super simple. I believe he only sells them on Facebook, but if you have access to that I would vote for that. I think I am on year 4 with one of his units and it is fantastic.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thank you. I’ll see if I can find him.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.