Advise on red?

• tapout

So heading up to red Thur plan on going out of jrs. I’ve only fished red once 10 years ago. I plan on putting the wheel house on something for the weekend that will be good at night and early morning,and fish portable during the day. Can anybody help me with depths to set up that wheel house in.thanks ahead of time.

David Blais

We were up at red last weekend. We were in 10.5 ft. Bite was slow. Our buddy was in 13ft, they caught more fish over night then we did in 2 days. I’d say get out a couple miles. Red, green and gold was working for us, tipped with small to medium fat heads. Good luck!

Tonka
    Minnesota

I was up the 28th to the 30 of December, so it’s a little ways off, but we went out of JR’s as well and stayed with Alpine Fish Rental. We were along the south side south and west of the landing. We were in 13 fow and had a fairly successful trip. I did take the portable to a few different spots with not much luck, and with the 6 of us we iced close to 40 walleyes. The fish were tight to the bottom, not really hitting spoons, with probably 80% of the fish coming on a bobber or rattle reel. Red hooks, pink hooks were best, my buddy caught almost all the jigging fish on a pink and gold glitter 1/8oz spoon, and in second place as far as jigging, it was a red buck shot.

Day 1 we started about 1:00, and had a good flury around 3:00pm. From there it was picking one of here and there, during the night, we had a few rattle reels go off, and they really started hitting about an hour before the sun came up. That day, we had a few more fish into the later morning, and as we were told the day before that there was a good bite at 11, we fished in the permanent until 1230 or one, with nothing happening. 3 of us took the portables out and got 1 eye, as the other 3 caught 4 more in the house while we were gone. The other guys wanted to thaw out their frozen beer, so we ended up fishing in the house the rest of the night, with flurries 1 or 2 fish coming in every so often. The second night we had a couple fish on the rattle reels but that was it. When we got up we just pulled the lines and started packing up and cleaning.

I hope this is helpful, IMO, I’d stick to 12 fow at shallowest for the sleeper. I probably wouldn’t be afraid to go deeper, but try calling a few of the resorts, as well as take a look on the OutdoorNews report. Good Luck

Travis

Was up last weekend and found the bite to be somewhat slow but productive. It’s not like the numbers from last year but we iced over 50 in two days with some real quality fish. Watch the ice conditions cuz there are cracks an pressure ridges all over, more than previous yrs it seems.

We fished 13-14ft and color, lure selection didn’t matter much. Every 20 min or so it would be pandamonium then quiet, didn’t pay to bounce around alot, we were more productive staying put. Once you find fish don’t move too far is my best advice. With the high pressure that moved in over night Saturday into Sunday the bite was tough, they were holding real tight to the bottom, but we gritted it out and pulled our biggest of the trip which was 24″

Pink an red have been key for me over the past few yrs, good luck, have a safe trip

Crappy Fisherman

Keep it quite and as little light as possible at night. Glow pink and glow red worked the best at night. Gold and gold with red during the day. Had some luck with blue and Crome #4 Rippin Rap. Most fish were on the bottom and not very active. We were up on 12/27-28. Get as far away from the crowd as you can.

Hoyt4
    NULL

We had a great weekend plenty of fish were caught and the kids had a blast. The fishing is not slowing down from the past. We tried to keep track the best we could but started to lose a little bit of count. Roughly caught abour 140 to 150 eyes. We did not get too many big eyes our biggest was 22 inches.

Only a hand full of perch which was strange we usually get them during the day to keep us busy. No crappies this trip which most trips we will take home a few. Strange bite on Saturday morning had to put the bai on the bottom and they would suck the lure off the lake floor. They would follow up but not hit. Once you put on the bottom they just sucked up like a vaccum.

Jigging raps from frostee’s used they seamed to hit anything . Shiners on deadsticks did out fish fat heads or chubs on deadsticks.
    This weekend was crazy bite tunred on so many times doubles going.

Stay away from crowds and you will catch fish. Fishing Red right now is not too tough anyone will catch fish up there. Glow red when fishing early mornings before sunrise and dark for us. We were on the lake around 6:15 am and that bite was really good.

One guy in our group had a good streak going using shiners on tip ups. I think he got 14 fish Saturday night with Shiners with many misses mixed in.

We did not have anyone near us. Used 4 wheelers to haul all our stuff with a trailer to get our group out. Make sure check ice we had many different depths of ice in a lot of places. Some place would be 11 others 4 sometimes 8. Just becareful we had shifting going on and a few cracks open up by us.

We fished 7ft to 9ft all weekend and all had fish one was not much better than the other.

Attachments:
    1. 20160103_135632.jpg

2. IMG_20160103_084636577.jpg

3. IMG950145.jpg

4. IMG_2001.jpg

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I was up last week and fished 9-10 feet the whole 4 days. I was a minimum of 100 yards to the next closest house and I was no where near Rogers/Morts/JR’s, but was on the south side.

If in the area of the resorts you’ll want to be out in the 13+ FOW according to the people we talked to. If away from the crowds you can go shallower.

We had times where they wouldn’t touch a bobber/minnow and other times where the bobber/minnow preferred. We also had times where both were going about equal. We also had mulitple doubles and triples.

I did seem to see a preference towards orange colored hooks and jigs. The lure in the last picture was the ticket until a pout got away with it towards the end of the trip.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1131.jpg

2. IMG_1134.jpg

3. IMG_1133.jpg

4. 0071.jpg

5. 001.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.