Connecting dual bank charger to 24V trolling motor

• icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I think I know how this should be done but want to make sure. I have the batteries wied correctly for the 24V trolling motor, now I want to connect my dual bank charger to each battery. Do I ned to have a disconnect switch on the cable that goes from Battery A’s positive terminal to Battery B’s negative terminal to isolate them when charging? Or doesn’t it matter?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

doesn’t matter, positive to positive and negative to negative.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

No, just hook the leads from one bank one to the terminals of battery one and then repeat for battery 2.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

WAIT!!! Do you have the manual that shows the schematic? Is it a Dual 12V or 24V. My guest unit is a dual 12 or a 24V and the manual recommends install per the schematic for the 24V system inlieu of using the 2 – 12vwhen on a 24V system. 99% of the time I’m sure its fine to hook up the 2/12V, but i would refer to the manual first!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

No manual for the charger and the Minn Kota manual only shows how to connect the batteries for the 24V out. Charger is a Cabela’s brand, I’m sure it’s made by someone else for them

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

My Cabelas is a 3 bank charger. You have to connect a set of charge leads to each battery in your 24 volt bank. 12 volts to each battery, just like if they were 2 individual 12 volt systems. If I’m not mistaken, Cabelas chargers are made by Promariner. They look almost identical.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

My Cabelas is a 3 bank charger. You have to connect a set of charge leads to each battery in your 24 volt bank. 12 volts to each battery, just like if they were 2 individual 12 volt systems. If I’m not mistaken, Cabelas chargers are made by Promariner. They look almost identical.

Thanks, that’s how I have it wired, just wanted to make sure.

I’m still thinking about installing a disconnect on the jumper cable that runs from the negative terminal of battery A to the positive terminal of Battery B to use when charging. Gives me peace of mind.

shaley
    Milford IA

Been charging a 24 volt system for 10 years 1 set of leads to each battery and no switch and no issues…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.