Fishing Around Robinson Lake (Wabasha)

• sloughman

I have a cabin on Robinson Lake. I haven’t fished much since I was a kid. But, I’d like get my kids into it and don’t know the good places.
    Any one have some good spots around Robinson? I’ll only have the 7.5 horse out, so won’t be looking at going too far.
    Also, what should I be using? Jigs, by the wing dam? Color?

Onlyhawgs
    Rochester

Robinson Lake is a Federal duck sanctuary and cannot be entered from the start of duck season until the season is closed. Legally you can’t even walk into the refuge so be careful. Better of puting in at Wilcox, lots of panfish.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I have no idea what Onlyhawgs is talking about. I was born and raised in Wabasha, and have duck hunted/fished Robinson Lake my whole life. If you call Robinson Lake the area north of Wilcox’s up to Pete Bears gut, and the Wabasha Marina then you can definately hunt and fish it. Yes, there are the white signs, but if you read them close they state that the area is open to waterfowl hunting. If not, then the wardens have a whole lot of tickets to write, because there are hunters out there every day, and a whole bunch of hunters out there on the weekends. Onlyhawgs, could you be thinking of somewhere else???

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m more confused than ever after reading the info above. Can I hunt it? Can’t I hunt it? I’d just call the DNR and get the scoop.

For info on the State Wildlife Preserves listed by county (start on page 7) State Wildlife Preserves

Some more info on the Federal Areas:

Quote:

National wildlife refuges: Portions of Minnesota’s eight national wildlife refuges are open to hunting. Restrictions are noted in the back section of the DNR Hunting Regulations Handbook. For hunting maps and regulations, write to: Regional Director, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bishop Henry Whipple Federal Building, 1 Federal Drive, Fort Snelling, MN 55111-4056.

Quote:

Robinson Lake is a Federal duck sanctuary and cannot be entered from the start of duck season until the season is closed. Legally you can’t even walk into the refuge so be careful. Better of puting in at Wilcox, lots of panfish.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I know it’s confusing James, but many people have the idea that a National Wildlife game and fish refuge is closed to hunting. This is not so. The sign should state if it is open to hunting or closed. Now, take the refuge at the dike road that runs to Nelson WI from Wabasha. From the dike road all the way north to the Chippewa river is closed. Now, this is a refuge that you can not do any hunting on until the close of waterfowl season. I do see a lot of bass and panfishers using these backwater areas quit a bit in the fall. I do believe that you are supposed to stay out of this area because you may disturb resting waterfowl. I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed, and I myself years ago (10 or so) used to take a trip or two through there during the duck season to watch the ducks. My dad and I used to take an afternoon and run the boat way back up into the woods then walk about 1/2 mile to this pond that was just full of Mallards. We would just sit there and watch as hundreds of ducks would pile into this pond. Turns out we shouldn’t have been doing that so we quit. I don’t think you can even bow hunt back in there. But like James said, when in doubt, call your local Wardens.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.