Grass in Raspberry bushes

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have a couple rows of Raspberries and I think the grass is starting to choke out the bushes . Is there anything I can spray on it that will kill the grass but not the Raspberries? I am willing to pull out weeds but that grass is insane . Any ideas would be great .

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Put rubber gloves on your hands to protect your skin. Then put on cheap cotton work gloves over the top of the rubber gloves. Wet the cotton gloves with Roundup and rub the blades of grass but not touching the bushes. The grass blades will transmit the Roundup down to the grass plant base killing all the grass. Its goes pretty fast once you start applying. Once the Roundup does its job the grass will die but the bushes will not be affected.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Maybe try some bark mulch and or some gardeners cloth that is made just for that reason to keep unwanted growth around the good stuff from emerging.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

If this is a cash crop you will make more money on the grass

That might interfere with your occupation though

chomps
    Sioux City IA

once your bushes fill out, they will block the growth of any weeds, till then be carefull with round-up they are pretty tender and any over spray will kill the affected shoots. The cotton glove trick sounds like a good idea. I used that black landscapping fabric covered with grass clippings to keep the moisture in the ground.

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

I know there are some chemicals that target and kill grasses but not broadleaf, and I am assuming Raspberries are broadleaf?

whittsend

POAST will selectively target grass. I don’t think raspberries fall into that category, but I’d check to make sure. POAST isn’t cheap, but would probably work. Roundup and 2,4D would probably kill the rasperries if you got any on the “good” plants…

Example, corn is a grass, which maybe isn’t intuitive… Poast will kill corn from what I understand.

whittsend

If its a small plot, you can buy small spray bottles of selective grass killer at Menards.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Good Lord, it wasn’t until I finished reading the rest of the replies that I understood your joke.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Good Lord, it wasn’t until I finished reading the rest of the replies that I understood your joke.

Getting slow with your older age Mike

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Do you also suffer from memory loss

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Poast will kill all grasses but not affect any broadleaf.It has no residual so you will have to respray.Also anything that has clethedim as an active ingrediant is the same way.No residual..Dont get any on grass that you want to keep..It will kill any grass…Watch out for the commercial “grass killers” alot of the have roundup or similar products that kill broadleaves also..

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

The bite must really be slow.
    Can’t believe this subject gets so much attn on a fishing site but then I don’t mind a few of those tasty little nuggets on my ice cream.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.