Tungsten Bluegill

• BBKK
    IA

What are your favorite sizes (mm or hook size) for bluegill with tungsten? I only have 1 tungsten jig(I know, I know), and its a tiny one.. I want to say a #16 or smaller hook on it, 1 spike fills it up. It sure does catch fish, but now I need some for when the fish are a little more active. I need to get down deep faster, yet still hold a pretty small profile.

Need some advice before I place an order! Nobody locally has any tungsten jigs.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

4mm fiskas or sportsmans direct jigs. Kodiak has a great looking new line of tungsten as well.

BBKK
    IA

After further review, the one I have is an epoxy fiska wolfram 3mm. I bought it for super finesse fishing. I think the 4mm would be the way to go for “normal” fishing. Now the question is, do I buy from my all time favorite company Custom Jigs and Spins, or stick with the fiska?

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Fiska epoxy IMO. I bought some CJS and the eyes were all filled with paint…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Fished with my tungstens today. Boy they get the bait down there. Although my smaller size 16 from Watersedge were tougher to fish.

Bryan Myers

I normally use 4mm on gills however I love 5mm for them as well. I haven’t found many big gills that won’t eat the 5mm but if I’m in less than 20 feet fishing gills I usually use 4mm. I have used lots of different brand tungsten in the past but have broke hooks off in fish on all of them but the CJ&S Chekai and Majmun.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Quote:

I normally use 4mm on gills however I love 5mm for them as well. I haven’t found many big gills that won’t eat the 5mm but if I’m in less than 20 feet fishing gills I usually use 4mm. I have used lots of different brand tungsten in the past but have broke hooks off in fish on all of them but the CJ&S Chekai and Majmun.

Bryan hit it right on the head. I think a lot of guys feel like they have to go smaller, but the past couple years I have stayed big all winter and it has seemed to produce bigger fish more often. My favorite is a 5mm jig, with some 4mm Jigs mixed right in. I have even found myself wishing for larger tungies on days like today when the 5mm Jigs don’t get back down fast enough.

revpilot
    Lake Erie

I like the 4/5mm. I use to only buy the Fiska’s until i got some Sportsmensdirect jigs and i really like them, i havent broke off any hooks, like the Fiska have in the past,and not to mention they are CHEAPER…

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Hmm, my favorite has been the Northland Marmooska tungsten #12 and #14. But the hooks are
    delicate and bend/break to easily. Do you know if stores like Gander Mountain, Scheels, Fleet Farm carry the Fiskas?

Smallowl33

Any one use the checki jig yet?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The Chekai jigs have been awesome. This will be my 2nd yr tinkering with them and I’ve yet to have any problems with them. The color patterns are really effective and they’ve put a lot of fish on the ice for me.

pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Quote:

Fiska epoxy IMO. I bought some CJS and the eyes were all filled with paint…

Really no big deal cleaning the eyes out.CJ&S jigs have been good to me and the colors are great and as of yet, have had no chipping off of the paint like on some of the cheaper Tungstens.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wish CJ&S would make the eyelets slightly bigger. Had a hard time threading on the ice today because the end was not a clean cut. Took out the snips and was able to get it on with a clean end.

As for size, you would not believe the size gill I caught on a 4.5mm today. The gill had to be a yearling and was about 2″.

shaley
    Milford IA

2.5-3mm sometimes a 4 if they are on a good bite….

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

4mm fiskas or sportsmans direct jigs. Kodiak has a great looking new line of tungsten as well.

This is what I use as well

blufloyd

I have solved the jig eye problem. It was an economic thing. I don’t buy crap filled jig eyes, it is an indication of bad quality control in my mind.

This is year 2 of using only flies I tied or others tied.

iceman1985
    Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:

I have solved the jig eye problem. It was an economic thing. I don’t buy crap filled jig eyes, it is an indication of bad quality control in my mind.

This is year 2 of using only flies I tied or others tied.

Floyd, would love to see some of the flies that you use through the ice. I tie a lot of my own stuff as well. Keep up the good work.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.