I hate countertop installation.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

No. I really, really, really hate them.

I have a 12 ft x 10 ft L-shaped group of cabinets that I installed in my new office. I have the laminate countertop for them. Everything is cut and ready to go but I can’t do it.

I just can’t freaking do it. Lining up the countertop it looks like it needs scribing sanding finessing finagling fondling and I freaking don’t know what else.

This shouldn’t be that hard. The countertop is open on both ends it is not sandwiched between two walls. The problem I’m having is it’s both out of square and of course the walls are bowed so it needs scribing as well. I’m not sure how to proceed to get this thing both scribed and joined in square.

Does anybody else there in IDO land install laminate countertops and want to do a straight cash homie side job? I’m in the East Metro just north of the 3M campus in Maplewood.

Your help please.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

If I was closer… Assemble the counter away from the wall just how you want it to sit. The seam should be straight and true from the factory. I would glue the seam as well as the provided brackets to draw it together. Then press it against the wall how you want it and scribe it to the wall.

If it’s not horrible, you can belt sand to your scribe. It it is horrible, you can jigsaw to close to your scribe line and belt sand the rest of the way.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

^^^ This.
    When I did them I would pull out the circular saw then touch it up with a belt sander.
    As long as it’s not wall to wall, it’s not too difficult of an install.
    Getting the seam lined could be the hard part.

Deuces

Only bc it’s a home office am I the only one thinking why scribe the counter and scribe the rock instead? Small bead of caulk and call it done

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Only bc it’s a home office am I the only one thinking why scribe the counter and scribe the rock instead? Small bead of caulk and call it done

HUH?
    Nope, scribing the top would be much easier.

Deuces

Cut the rock, slide in counter, no scribing needed

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Deuces wrote:</div>

HUH?
    Nope, scribing the top would be much easier.

X2

Brian Bezanson

Assemble the countertop w/o gluing (final install is when it is the time to glue the joints) using the pull tight connectors.
    I would put a piece of masking tape on each side of the joint and fine pencil marks to insure alignment when ready for final assembly. Also put a line of masking tape on the countertop edges (I bet you don’t have a backsplash,either molded in or separate) so you have a surface ( tape) to mark on.
    If the walls being out of square is greater than 90 degrees then have an equal gap from the laminate to the gyp at the ends of each leg of the top. Use a divider set to what ever the gap is at each end and start grinding. Setting the top so the gab is equal on each leg is the key. Grind and fit. A 36 grit belt will really help. Also sand down from the top to facilitate some under cutting and to avoid ravelling the edge.
    I’ve had success at times “pulling” walls to casework.
    Get this project done and you can move on to doing alcove tops where a rosin pattern is made.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Grouse thats what they make 1/4 round trim for. Get ‘er close and trim it.

munchy
    NULL

If the wall is too far out of square you may never get it to look right as the backsplash may get completely removed on one end. I’d return the countertop and find one with a separate backsplash, and scribe the back of that then set the backsplash in place. Those pre-made formed countertops are terrible anyway.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

FYI –
    You cannot put a square in a corner to determine if the walls are out of square.
    There is a build-up of Joint compound in the inside corner which gives a false sense of configuration.

big_g
    Isle, MN

When I did my cabin remodel, I had to take off from 1/16th to 1/4′ for half of the backsplash.. thank god for a hand planer, or I would have been there for days doah

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.