Deer Tick bite…

• roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Thought I would share this with folks as a warning to be careful…Its tick season and I found out the hard way this weekend when I went out shed hunting. They are thick and one lill’ guy made its way to my tricep (back of arm) and decided to set up shop there. 24 hours later I pulled him off but this is what is left behind a day after I pulled it off. Do I just keep my eye on it for a while and see if it gets worse or do I do something now? Thought this would be a good warning to all to be careful. I have seen what Lyme’s disease can do to my lab…I surely don’t want it! RR

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

GO in NOW!
    Not kidding. Drop what you’re doing and get to the doc. I had one that bit a few years back but it was only there an hour. Doc told me that I didnt have anythign to worry about unless it was there for 24 hours, that’s when you can actually contract the horrible disease. There is an antibiotic that will fix it but if you don’t get it you could be in trouble. Don’t mean to scare you but it’s not anything to mess around with. Shut down your computer and go, trust me.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Yep, better get in and get you some doxycycline…

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Get in now! I had the same thing and YES it doesn’t look good.

The good thing is you caught it early. They will put you on Cipro for about a month. You may also be required to go in for additional testing down the line to make sure the antibiotics worked.

In my case the tick was still in my skin when I went in. After the Doc cut the tick out, they sent it to the U of M. The tests came back positive that the tick was a carrier.

IMO this is something you don’t want to wait on.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looks pretty typical for the first 24-48 hours when pulled out of a soft spot. Keep an eye on the “ring”. If it appears to get larger or spread out over the next two weeks, you may want to consider getting checked out. Been through the lymes’ treatment and like everything – always better to catch it early.
    For guys who are regularly in the outdoors and come in contact with ticks, lyme’s is a simple blood test that you should have checked regularly. The tests are not 100% and often will test a negative during very early stages. I’m tested annually!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Oh yeah, if they put you on Cipro you can’t have any dairy products. It was a long month for me.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

He can go in for the blood test right away, right? Get in and get it over with. Just like anything, the sooner you catch it, the better off you will be.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

It is most likely just a normal reaction but given the alternative I would definitly reccomend getting antibiotics just as a preventative measure.

You may even be able to get a prescription for 1-2 weeks of anitbiotics over the phone or at a minute clinic if you don’t want to make a trip to the doc.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I thought the rings do occur with and without lyme disease?

NM, Randy already stated such

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

Go to the doctor and get on Doxycycline NOW! I am still fighting leg and knee pains after getting lyme disease last June. This is nothing to fool around with. I have learned allot from this and here are the highpoints.
    1.) The blood tests for this are not accurate, over 35% of the negative tests are actually people who have lyme disease.
    2.) Two weeks of antibiotics are not enough! I was on Doxycyline for two months.
    3.) Many people who have lyme disease never know they were bit and do not get the bullseye rash.
    4.) Do not wait for the blood test results to start antibiotics. Start them immediately.
    5.) First symptoms are headache that will not go away. Flu like symptoms. You will feel like a truck ran over you. Brain fog comes next, you will not be able to think clearly and your short term “what was I going to do” memory will be horrible.
    6.) Many people have pains and symptoms for years after the doctors say you are cured.
    7.) GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!!

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Even off the subject of Lyme disease, but was the head of the tick intact with its body? You very well could’ve detached it when you pulled it off and the head is still in your skin, and it could possibly get infected. I say go get that checked out ASAP!!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Noon appointment is set…Thanks for the advise guys…RR

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Doesnt look like a lyme infected bite to me but Im no doctor. I have had many bad tick bites but never lymes. (that I know of) Went to doctor once for bite similars to yours and he didnt even blink then sent me home. Let us know what happens. This is good education.

JimmyClark
    Eagle Point Wi. USA

I got nailed by one of them potlickers last turkey season. Didn’t know it, didn’t have any telltale marks either. Got very sick, and upon recieving test results back from Mayo, they reported that not only was Lymmes present, but the possibility existed that I also had a dose of Babesiasis. Upon checking out what it meant, it says it is a “sometimes fatal symptom” related to tick bites. That fully explained to me my feeling that I wanted to just die in order to feel better. Don’t mess around with these things!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I got nailed by one of them potlickers last turkey season. Didn’t know it, didn’t have any telltale marks either. Got very sick, and upon recieving test results back from Mayo, they reported that not only was Lymmes present, but the possibility existed that I also had a dose of Babesiasis. Upon checking out what it meant, it says it is a “sometimes fatal symptom” related to tick bites. That fully explained to me my feeling that I wanted to just die in order to feel better. Don’t mess around with these things!

X2! The fact is you never know! I have been treated 4 times out of precaution. If I had a mark like that my arse would be in the waiting room right now.

Peter Smith

I know this is a super old post but did you end up having Lyme disease? My friend had a bite that looked similar to this and the dr doesn’t think it is Lyme disease but I just wanted to double check and see since her bite looks just like this one pictured.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looks like the op has been shown the door. Don’t expect a reply.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I’m “pretty” sure, but I believe you can go in to see the Dr., and get the antibiotics to take while they test the tick. Only cost like $20 if not prescribed. I personally know 2 people whom the Dr said it wasn’t positive for Lyme’s, didn’t give them meds, and they later tested positive and suffered through alot. Just because some Drs don’t know, and or still don’t take it serious enough.
    Don’t wait to see what the bite does. My 2 cents…..

DTW

Lyme is not the only disease you can get from a tick. The tick can transmit a disease within hours. The Lyme test doctors use means nothing. A more expensive western blot test will show if your infected and is typically not ordered from your Family practice provider. I carry Doxycycline with me and take a dose if I find a tick attached. Every late fall I get a Lyme test to make sure I don’t have the disease. The disease mimics Syphilis progression. Some armchair Doc on this site will probably poo poo my post. Don’t listen

DTW

I should add that the St croix river valley has an epidemic with Lyme as do most of the lake and river valleys. Be your own advocate and proactive. Once you are in later stages there is no cure.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Some armchair Doc on this site will probably poo poo my post.

I find it a bit funny that you’re referring to IDO “archair docs”, yet you’re the one self-administering an antibiotic. whistling

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Had a buddy who got ! 2 times first time he was on crutches for several days , affected his joints that badly !

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They need to get a working vaccine back on the market.
    However not all deer ticks are infected (20% +/-) so the odds are still in your favor.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Lyme is not the only disease you can get from a tick. The tick can transmit a disease within hours. The Lyme test doctors use means nothing. A more expensive western blot test will show if your infected and is typically not ordered from your Family practice provider. I carry Doxycycline with me and take a dose if I find a tick attached. Every late fall I get a Lyme test to make sure I don’t have the disease. The disease mimics Syphilis progression. Some armchair Doc on this site will probably poo poo my post. Don’t listen

This is horrible advice. Don’t listen.

walleyevision

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DTW wrote:</div>

This is horrible advice. Don’t listen.

DTW knows what he is talking about. Lyme is no joke. $20 Rx is far cheaper than the potential of a hospital stay and lost wages.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Lyme is 100% no joke…taking antibiotics when they are not needed IS a joke especially ever time you get a tick bite. And people wonder why we have super bugs…pun intended.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Lyme is 100% no joke…taking antibiotics when they are not needed IS a joke especially ever time you get a tick bite. And people wonder why we have super bugs…pun intended.

What he said!

matt

If you know you were bit go get checked no matter what the bite looks like.If you think you were bit go get checked.Got bit a couple weeks ago bite wasnt red or irritated,week later neck starts to hurt.Went and got checked and found out I have Lymes.Caught it early so hoping it doesnt get as bad as last summer when it knocked me on my ass for two months,thought i was gonna die.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.