Woody's Golden Years

Woody's Golden Years

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

He’s 14 years old. A cockapoo with more cocker then poo.

He can only hear the loudest of noises and then looks around not knowing which direction the noise came from. When he sleeps, he sleeps hard or maybe it’s because he can’t hear anything. When I come home, I go to the couch where he’s sleeping to give him a few pats on the head and a neck scratch that he still loves. I don’t want him jumping down to greet me. He has a hard enough time jumping back up and when possible, I give him a lift.

I’m glad I accidently taught him hand signals when he was younger. Just swing the finger towards the door to go outside or towards his feeding dish and he’s heading that way. Just need to catch his attention and he goes where ever he’s pointed toward.

During the day he seems to be limber enough. After a few hours of sleep at night he’ll get up to be let out. He walks like a crippled dog often stopping and staring ahead. Once moving around a bit, he seems like a puppy again.

No more barking or growling when someone comes to the door. Just walks over and gives them a couple sniffs.

On a normal day, he’s pawing at my arm around 4:30 – 5 am ’cause he doesn’t want to wait until I wake up to eat. This morning he stayed in bed while I made coffee, cleaned up and got dress.
    I thought he passed away in our sleep.

With a little rubbing and poking he slowly got up, stretched, jumped up on my leg and stretched again. Time for breakfast Dad!

It’s not going to be today, but it’s coming soon. (

Attachments:
    1. L-Forest-R-Woody.jpg

2. Woody.jpg

3. Listening-to-a-nap-time-story.jpg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

It’s not going to be today, but it’s coming soon.

The toughest reality. The older of our two is going on 13. He lost an eye a couple years ago and the one he has left is going bad. The FW and I have both had that moment where we’re literally checking to see if he’s still breathing, but then some days he’s pretty energetic.

Enjoy your time with Woody, BK. Lucky dog to be so loved.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Give Woody a good ear-scratching from me!
    It’s a reality of being a dog owner, but it tears me up inside. The final days, weeks, and months we had with Floyd were sad, but we did our best to keep him happy, and he remained a loyal best friend till the end.
    He’s living the good life!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

He didn’t know who you were but he loved the scratch just the same!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2957.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Wasn’t sure I could reply to this since it was a “group”. Guess it was not so exclusive I couldn’t join. Not much I can say, but have been through all of this. Being an old divorced and single old man, it was just me and the dog, “Sadie and me” for quite some time. Broke my heart when she left.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0054.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Been there BK. It’s tough watching the last months as you well know. cry Give Woody anything he wants.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! I’m already sleeping on the floor for him. Our bed was too high and he couldn’t jump up and we cringed when he would jump down. Frame and box spring are in the spare room.

At 61 years old, I’m sleeping on a damn mattress on the floor for my dog.

RIP Sadie, the sparkle in your eyes shout “good dog”.

god wouldn’t the world be a great place if people were wired with the love of a dog?

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

LOL! I’m already sleeping on the floor for him. Our bed was too high and he couldn’t jump up and we cringed when he would jump down. Frame and box spring are in the spare room.

At 61 years old, I’m sleeping on a damn mattress on the floor for my dog.

I have been there on the floor in the past myself and I would do it again even though I’m 65 now. My first Vizsla I had to carry outside and back inside for her to take care of business. It was only a couple days before we had her put down and I wouldn’t have waited but 2 of my kids were away at school and wanted to say good bye to our first house companion. bawling

A dogs love of his master is so amazing. They give so much and ask for so little. I think that is why it is so hard on a person when they pass on. You have my sympathy BK.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

god wouldn’t the world be a great place if people were wired with the love of a dog?

My blind dog loves us so much that he barfed on the bed at 4:30am today, right between the FW’s pillow and mine.

I love him so much that he’ll be back on the bed tonight. doah

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

My first Vizsla I had to carry outside and back inside for her to take care of business.

What we do for our beloved dogs. I lived in the upper level of a duplex and for Sadie’s last month she could still walk but could no longer climb the stairs, so I would have to pick her up…all 80 lbs of her and carry her to the top. For a while I wondered how long I could keep doing that but decided I would as long as I have to. I learned that as they become more helpless you seem to love them that much more. That they depend on you so much to be loved and cared for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.