It's going to be hard, but it's time

It's going to be hard, but it's time

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ol’ Woody had been having what I call fits where he’s shaking, painting and just can’t get close enough to us. Doc didn’t know if it was anxiety or possibly tooth pain. We got a RX for pain and anxiety. Didn’t matter which pill we gave him, they didn’t work very well but giving him both settled him down.

He can only hear the loudest noises. But he knows his hand signals very well.

He wouldn’t go down the camper steps but then I didn’t like those metal steps either. We would carry him out the camper…no big deal. I built a wooden deck and he loved it…for about two weeks.

Over the last couple weeks he’s been slamming his nose into walls and doors hard enough that he’ll pause before continuing on. Last night I realized how bad it was. He couldn’t see the steps when they were right in front of him. I gave him a piece of cheese and the only way he found it (right in front of his nose) was with his sniffer.

Our last two dogs had to be put down. Woody is still wagging his tail but will stare at the wall or pace around. He’s uncomfortable. It shows in his eyes.

Deb made the appointment for Wednesday.

Attachments:
    1. 4FF4A80A-A468-4C6D-B817-1AAE9AE42BB9.jpeg

2. EC7280DD-B655-4410-9278-12ED6FD964F7.jpeg

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

I’m sorry to hear this, BK. That’s such a hard decision to make and I don’t look forward to having to make that call some day. How old is Woody? Dogs have such a special place in our lives. They are family. And we are lucky to make the memories we have with them.

404 ERROR
    MN

BK, sorry to hear this. Not a fun decision or experience.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

So sorry BK. bawling Dogs leave Paw Prints on our Hearts.

Timmy

Dogs trust us. Sometimes that sucks. I have been there a few times and it never got easier. Each time sucked, but knowing that you cared for him and gave him a good life makes it tolerable. Time helps. Condolences, Brian. I know it sucks. It just plain sucks.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I am sorry to hear this BK.it’s a tough call.We can have faith in ourselves that we did what was best for our best friend. Be strong and savor the time left.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m sorry, Brian. You know it’s right, but that doesn’t make it any easier. It’s the bad part about being a dog lover. bawling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

BK,
    I’m sorry to hear about Woody. When “is” the time is always a very difficult decision to make. From what you say, you are making the proper decision.

For what it’s worth, we use Southview Animal Hospital in Inver Grove and have them come to the house. We have used them for the past 2 times and I had an easier time saying good bye in our home vs. the stainless steal table at the vet clinic which the dogs disliked going to in the first place.

Dam Dogs!

I could never live without one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

He turned 15 on my wife’s birthday 5/12.

in our home vs. the stainless steal table at the vet clinic

No, our dogs have gone being held in our my wife’s arms. I’m no where around.

Thanks for the comments. I didn’t post this to get all the “sorry for your loss” comments, I was hoping one of you would say it’s not his time yet. cry

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

He naps well at the camper.

Attachments:
    1. 090C5AD8-0B86-42F0-A8C1-5AD67D6C81DA.jpeg

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>Thanks for the comments. I didn’t post this to get all the “sorry for your loss” comments, I was hoping one of you would say it’s not his time yet.

Brian, only you can make the call but for what it’s worth, it sounds similar to our situation and I’m not ready to make the call yet for our dog. He’s 12, lost an eye a couple years back and sees very little with the one he has left. Lately it seems he’s getting “stuck” at times, just standing still in one place for a long time, spaced out. He takes meds for arthritis but is otherwise healthy other than his sight. He knows the layout of our 2-story house and fenced-in yard, but won’t go UP stairs anymore.

I look at it like this: it still seems to be more good than bad. Once the negatives conquer the positives I think that choice becomes easier. For now our old grump still seems to revel in getting “first” place on the couch pecking order, and would sit happily outside for hours in our yard, just smelling the world.

Wherever you stand with Woody, I just hope you enjoy every moment you get with him, he sounds like a great dog.

Take care BK

EDIT… Question : How long do you thing his vision has been bad? Our dog took a while to master his surroundings but has it great now.

But, re-reading your post, with two senses compromised for Woody it could be asking too much?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

His vision has been going for the better part of a year but only went blind except for movement in the last month.

We talked to the vet and she agreed (I found out later that she won’t put a healthy dog or one that is enjoying life down)

Vision
    Hearing
    Back hips
    Nervous fits. (which are really hard to watch even after medication)

Last night when I was having popcorn, he sat like he always does in case I drop some that he can scarf up. His eyes kept closing and in a few minutes he went behind my chair and laid down. He never does that cause I always make sure I drop enough to share with him. (Deb doesn’t like me feeding him like that)

I said goodbye to him this morning with his “only for special occasion” bacon treats. I won’t be home tonight and he’s going in at 11 in the morning.

Both Deb and Nik will be there with Deb holding him wrapped in his favorite blanket. Damn I hate dogs.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Sorry BK, this is the hardest thing about having dogs. Just remember all the joy you brought each other.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Woof wink

That’s Woody and his brother Forrest when I first brought them home.

Attachments:
    1. Forrest-and-Woody.jpg

2. Woody-Watching.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I know you’re not looking for it… but sorry BK. Tough decision indeed!

We have a 14 year old deaf dog as well. Only those who know and love them the most could ever know when the time is right.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Joe.

11:15 this morning.

If I ever have a dog again and I won’t, I’m not going to be making the final appointment ahead of time. This sucks.

Damn I hate dawgs.

Attachments:
    1. 155439_1241584377458_727712_n.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Thinking of you, your family, and Woody this morning, Brian. bawling

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Thinking of you, BK :-/

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s done. Time to move on.
    Thanks again all, you’ve been very helpful for Forest and Woody. waytogo

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Brian,
    Back when I said goodbye to my dog Sadie, I went grocery shopping afterwards as I figured that would be better than going home and crying in a dark room…which is what I would have done. It helped to have that distraction at that moment.

That night I stepped out on my porch in the dark and looked up into the sky and right away saw a very bright star. Brighter than all the rest. Maybe it was a planet…I don’t know, but knowing that my dog’s soul had left the earth I imagined that was her up there shining brightly. Thanking me for the good life and love that I gave her.

I believed that and that’s all that mattered to me that night. I even named it Sadie’s Star and would keep looking for it as the days passed.

Hoping that you might find Woody’s Star tonight.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sigh, you guys are going to make me cry at work.

That’s a nice tribute Andy.

I may have mentioned it, but when our girl Athena was going through the kidney failure I used to sing to her a country song. Within two weeks of her passing, on 2 separate occasions, I started the car and the song played from the very beginning, no jock intro or anything. I can’t help but think she was singing back to me.

It’s done. Time to move on.

Easier said than done, but I get it. Thinking of the FW and you, sending prayers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The final resting place.

I don’t shed a tear for Woody anymore but when Deb starts crying out of the blue, it gets me everytime.

Attachments:
    1. 35049491_1718629231523564_375140946351751168_n.jpg

Sharon
    Dakota County, MN

That looks very nice, BK. Billy’s folks did something similar for their old family dog, Charlie. He was a yellow lab, passed away in April 2009. Can it be that long ago, already? He smelled wet and skunky ALL the time, and shed a lot, but he was so much fun and was a great dog.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I may have mentioned it, but when our girl Athena was going through the kidney failure I used to sing to her a country song. Within two weeks of her passing, on 2 separate occasions, I started the car and the song played from the very beginning, no jock intro or anything. I can’t help but think she was singing back to me.

Very nice. We use to call Heart’s “Crazy on You” Floyd’s theme song. The day he passed, I got in the car, and sure enough, that song came on. I know it was his way of telling me he was okay. To this day, whenever it comes on, I leave it on.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.