Hunting Breed Puppy Training

Hunting Breed Puppy Training

• Nice Fella
    Participant

FWIW I just thought I’d share some of my early experiences with my new Labrador puppy. She is now 9 months old and 58 lbs.; we purchased her from a breeder when she was 2 months and 14 lbs. She is a very strong and enthusiastic representative of her sporting breed, beyond what I think would be typical for other dogs of a comparable age. A couple things we learned early along the way were to keep her in a smaller, confined area in the house, expanding it slowly as she aged. We used flexible indoor pet fencing that worked pretty well. We also kept a leash on her at all times – this sounds a little goofy, but worked real well as her territory expanded. She chewed a little on furniture and wall trim, but overall not terribly bad. My favorite Veterinarian quote: “Well you know, Labs eat everything.” Worst thing we think she ate was a wine cork, (our bad). We dropped her off for two weeks of retriever puppy training for obedience reinforcement, bird retrieval introduction, and gunfire exposure. When we picked her up the trainer said “You don’t have a quarter horse there, you have a full-on thoroughbred on your hands.” Plenty of drive and retriever instinct, so much so she has difficulty focusing on a specific task. He prefers training this kind of dog over a dog that lacks interest in retrieving because it’s something you can’t teach a dog – either they have it or they don’t. Interesting side note, he said more people are bringing him mixed-breed rescues to train, and they are way more challenging to work with.
    So my pup is a lot of dog to handle, particularly for my wife, but loves meeting people and other dogs. She can be a very sweet dog. Looking back at when we picked her out, we were able to observe the mother and she was also very energetic, literally jumping straight up in the air to greet us. Also, the pedigree of both parents were very strong on Field Trials, etc. That should have tipped us off to what we were getting into, but when you look into those puppy eyes… There is some advice out there that you should observe the litter and see which puppy behavior appeals to you, or look for dominance or submissiveness. I say LOOK AT THE SIRE AND DAM, and pedigree.
    Fast forward to today, we’ve taken her back for the 10-week intermediate training – more obedience, e-collar, retrieving upland and water. Trainer says this is a critical time as she is at that “teenage” stage developing some attitude and it’s important reestablish not only who’s the boss, but reinforce that she needs to comply with commands, not ignore them. We’ll get a progress report and some training ourselves after 5-7 weeks, but I absolutely can’t wait to get her in the fields and woods in September when we finally bring her back home, and chase some birds! When we dropped her off, the trainer said “Oh, I remember her from previous training. That’s a LOT of dog!” A lot of friends will say, oh she’s just a puppy and will grow out of this.
    I know there are those who prefer to train their pup themselves and more power to you – I think that is great. For us it was a matter of providing consistent and appropriate training for a dog of this caliber. These trainers work with these animals every day and can read them real well from what I’ve seen.
    Like I said, I just wanted to share our experiences for anyone who may be interested in options for their current or planned hunting puppy purchase. I’d also be very interested to hear others’ training experiences or methods, successes and “other”.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1598.jpg

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

One tip for you and all Household members, is to maintain the “training”. Use all those skills she just learned or they will go away. My brother’s lab had the full gamut of high end training, but him and his wife didn’t reinforce it consistently after she came home. She is 7 now and she lost the majority of hunting related things she learned in training. Similarly, I trained our Lab myself and my wife was more concerned with a cuddle puppy, so now our dog listens to me but takes my wife’s commands as suggestions. Somehow I get in trouble when I do that, but I digress… whistling

Good luck and that’s a great looking pup!

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

Love it! With any luck, I’ll be in the same boat before too long. I’m still undecided on whether I’ll hire out the training or tackle it on my own (with help!). Werm’s got good advice.

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

Thanks for sharing, Nice Fella. That’s going to be one big girl when she is fully grown! My GSPs are almost 2 and 3 and they are about 62 lbs or so. Being consistent is one of the biggest challenges with training any dog. For our boys, my husband Billy is the master and I’ve accepted that. As long as they listen to me when Dad isn’t around. Which they do, but I had to learn to remember to command as Billy does. I see some women squeakily asking for their dog’s obedience and it doesn’t usually work. They’re called “commands” for a reason and you’ve got to be ready to follow through. But it’s so worth it to have well trained dogs that are obedient and know the pack order.

Ralph Wiggum
    Participant
    Maple Grove, MN

I see some women squeakily asking for their dog’s obedience and it doesn’t usually work. They’re called “commands” for a reason and you’ve got to be ready to follow through.

BINGO! Although it’s not exclusive to women.

But it’s so worth it to have well trained dogs that are obedient and know the pack order.

waytogo

Nice Fella
    Participant

Well, it’s been a long time and a lot of money, but I have my now one year-old pup back from training. And the initial results have been really good, but still a work in progress as the training now continues at home. The Dogtra 1900S is getting a workout and a lot of use – especially by my wife who really wants to be able to maintain control of the dog’s energy and enthusiasm. I feel the pro trainers were able to accomplish way more with her than I ever could have on my own.
    It all paid off this weekend on the pup’s first official (game farm) hunt where she located, flushed, retrieved to heel, and dropped the bird on command. I couldn’t stop grinning I was so pleased. Hopefully many more to come.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1940.jpg

Sharon
    Participant
    Dakota County, MN

I feel like I forget to check the Groups on here. Love the picture, Nice Fella. Have you had her out hunting recently?

We’ve had our boys, Fritz and Remi, out several times this Fall so far and with each time we notice improvement in Remi’s performance. He needs a bit more encouragement than Fritz did when he first started, but Remi has not had the hunting/gun training that Fritz had as a pup. Remi is actually learning quite a bit from watching Fritz. )

Attachments:
    1. Hunting-with-my-boys-Oct-2016.jpg

Nice Fella
    Participant

Yes, I’ve had Piper out now numerous times for grouse and pheasant, most recently in NW Iowa – which was a blast. She sometimes ranges a little too far from me, but we’re working on that. She has a phenomenal nose and made a couple incredible retrieves. It’s still a work in progress and I remind myself that she should be even better next year. She didn’t seem to learn a lot from my buddy’s French Brittany, which is understandable because of their breeds I guess.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.