Never can tell…..

Never can tell…..

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

…..what might come from so daydreaming. A few days ago I saw some nice lead Shad Lures made using a Do-It mold. I thought “those would look sweet done in plastic”. So….I played around looking at pictures of the mold and a plastic mold I had here at home that I thought would make a super tail for the normally tail-less Shad Lure. I finally went ahead got the lead mold.

When the lead mold arrived yesterday I got the heat started in the work shop and dug out the Dremel and some cutters. In less than a minute the 1 ounce center cavity had been modified to take the tail. I had a bag of the chartreuse tails on the work bench from what’s called a Go-Go Grub and opted to use them this first time around trying to inject plastic into a mold designed for lead. I heated up some purple and black plastics and went to work. No work at all really and the resulting baits are just plain SaWeeeet!

The overall length of these is just shy of 3 3/4″, stretched. The bodies are not quite 2 1/4″. The picture of the mold’s face shows the modification to the center or 1 ounce cavity. The other two are on the slate. The detail at the head end gets a little lost when the clear coat is added to seal the eyes but that’s not a huge deal. If one opts for eyes on these little will tear those eyes off after top-coating: the cast in eye sockets are fairly deep and they eyes are very well protected. The tails can be added with the curl up or down, whichever trips your trigger.

All around I think that this daydreaming session got me onto something really good.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.