Been quiet for too long here…..

Been quiet for too long here…..

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

…..and with the last couple days toying with the 40 degree mar I spent time in the shop honing my core shot skills with black plastic as the core color inside of clear plastic using color shifting pigments.

Here’s a 2 1/2″ shad style minnow bait with the black core and what’s called Andromeda, a color-shifting pigment that starts green, then goes to gold to purple to red. There’s some coral dye in the pigment powder that I wasn’t all too sure of until I saw the baits come out of the mold after injecting the black core. The eyes and the clear cover dip really set this natural looking bait off nicely. Regardless of where or how you look at this bait you’ll see that green line, or gold or purple depending entirely on the light and the light’s angle hitting the bait. Its just uncanny. I’m thinking crappies will find favor with this one….

And here’s another, much smaller in size at 1″, that has a very clear body plastic full of what’s called “Delta” color shift over the black core. Delta is a white, fine particle color shift that is just flat out electric. Seen here in its primary blue color, a small roll to a different light angle and these baits will jump right into a purple every bit as vibrant as the blue. Delta is easily my favorite color shift pigment to work with.

These little guys have sunfish written all over them.

Spoon Minnow
    Participant

So far have they caught fish yet?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Of course.

The small one with the blue line caught all kinds of sunfish and perch in a marina on the Mississippi as the ice began to erode around dock pilings.

The larger ones caught many crappies as the ice retreated on a lake near a dock I cast from early on in the open water.

Spoon Minnow
    Participant

Good show! Catching fish on lures we create is sooooo satisfying.

Tom P.
    Participant
    Whitehall Wi.

Those are some awesome looking plastics Tom.

I find the Bobbie Garland Baby Shad`s are terrific plastic baits, they are shaped in a triangle when rigged properly when they fall they will rock side to side and if you reel ultra slow will rock like a crankbait side to side.

If I was into pouring plastics I would need to find some type of mold to make this design in a few different sizes.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I currently make the shads in the tiny 1″ ones shown, 1.5″, 2 1/4″ 2 1/2″[also shown] and 3 1/2″. They’re all fish getters.

Lots of molds out there Tom. If you’re serious about this drop me a pm and I can give you specifics.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.