4" Fat Fork baits meet the air brush

4" Fat Fork baits meet the air brush

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Back in May I made a post on some soft plastic baits I air brushed with fair success. When I got a new mold from the Do-It company called a Fat Fork, my first thoughts fell on the machine embossing in the cavities. These tool marks make a really realistic finish in just the simple injected baits, but the air brushing lends itself to creating baits beyond just nice.

The baits shown here have been sprayed with an airbrush using simple Createx paint colors. I mix colors to get the colors I want so none of these are “out-of-bottle” colors but they are the simple Createx paints. The orange backed baits got a clear top coat mixed with gold hi lite powder. The Pink baits got the same top coat only violet and blue hi lite powders were used. Looking at the baits one can see where the hi lited top coat has settled in the minute depressions created by the machining giving the finished baits an almost “tiger striped” look.

foulpole18
    Participant
    North Branch, MN

Those look amazing. Do you just clear coat them with another dip in hot plastic?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>foulpole18 wrote:</div>Those look amazing. Do you just clear coat them with another dip in hot plastic?

Yes. The airbrush paint is water-based and will fall apart if exposed to water. A quick dip in clear plastic seals everything up nice. Anything with eyes needs to be sealed anyway. To the clear plastic I add some UV enhancer which helps make the baits more visible in stained or dirty water.

water doc
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to try painting soft plastics. How are you holding them while painting?

Thanks

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On these I slipped a wire spinner form into the nose end about an inch. The spinner form has an open loop so I can hang the bait after spraying a color on. The baits hang on the wire while I dry them with a hair dryer. Just before adding the eyes I pull them off the wires and then they get the cover dip. I’ve done smaller baits using thin copper wires.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.