What Shanty/Camp setups does everyone use?

What Shanty/Camp setups does everyone use?

• Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Hey guys, still waiting for ice here in SW MI. In the meantime, i wait and get my gear fixed, cleaned, and ready. I was wondering what everyone uses while hitting the ice at night. What is your shanty preference? Do you guys sit, hole hop, or do you set up an all out camp on the ice? i find we do all three depending on the targeted species and body of water. We use the old coleman liquid fuel lanterns to light the way and have some honda quiet generators to run lights when smelt fishing. When we are after smelt we tend to look like a small camp on the ice. I would love to hear and see what others use and do. Thank you in advance for sharing.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I ice fish solo most times, just because that’s how things end up as. So I just get comfy in my Ice cube shack.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Gotcha. I enjoy the solitary confinement as well. Especially if the lake is empty. You really see and hear some cool things at night. I often have coyotes come close scavenging bait minnows and other things people leave on the ice.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

This year, will have to retire the Ice cube. I have the Eskimo 949i now. Will have more foot space room now and maybe wont be able to lean stuff up against the wall anymore. However that means, I’ve got room to bring Auger inside for peace of mind.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

that sounds like a nice rig. Im hoping to pick up one of those new polar bird 4T long models for the extra space for my cot and gear when we over night on the ice.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Once again, I’ve updated. Eskimo Outbreak 250XD. My that no trip door is wonderful. Although the one man set up does take a bit more time and I don’t feel as if the Outbreak will withstand strong winds any better than the 949i. The best thing is the stormshield fabric is better than the IQ fabric on the 949i.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.