New Fly Rod build

New Fly Rod build

• Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Just completed a new fly rod. This one is an experiment. Switch rods are usually about 11 feet long and use a shooting head that’s about 25 feet long. OPST makes a head called a “Commando Head” that’s 15 feet long, and is intended to be used with a single-handed rod. I built up a 9 foot long 8 weight, medium fast action fly rod with a switch rod handle. The idea is to be able to make “Skagit” style casts in tight circumstances. This should work like gang busters on smaller rivers like the Brule, the Snake, the Kettle, etc. Now I have to wait for some open water to try this one out! I’d post some picture but I have no idea how to do that.

Attachments:
    1. Picture-013.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

After a week of fly fishing, the bug is totally back. Our DNR work group is having a meeting in Hutchinson in April and I’m going to be hitting the home waters hard for a couple days.

Nice looking rod Steve! waytogo

Steve Root
    Participant
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks BK. It should be interesting to see how this one works. The idea that I could throw 80 feet of line without a back cast from under some trees has me intrigued.

Now that you’re retired we’re going to do some fly fishing brother waytogo

SR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m in! Hopefully the FW doesn’t tell me I’m out! LOL!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.