Zippel Bay ice out?

• walleyevision
    Participant

I’ve got a rainy river trip planned for April 10-13 but am trying to come up with alternate plans if the forks break loose while we’re there. One option we will definitely be doing (if the river is navigable) is sturgeon fishing. The other is Zippel Bay pike fishing, but I’m guessing the bay will still be iced over. I’ve never been up there but I’m assuming this will be the case unless there is a lot of warm water flow into the bay from rivers? Am I right to assume that Zippel will likely still be iced over?

slowpoke
    Participant
    Perham Mn

Rainy River and the bay are a crapshoot. A few warm days and the river can open miles per day from Birchdale. A lot of years the bay is open and some its not. We never count on it open and it’s a bonus when it is. Even if you don’t fish the bay it takes a lot of pressure off of the river and the other accesses as most prefer to fish the bay. Sturgeon don’t care if the river is dirty… they still eat. Trying to plan the perfect trip on the River is usually disappointing. Mother Nature dictates the outcome. With all of the snowpack this year its a guess when the Big and Little Forks will bust loose and dump tons of debri into the river. If you’ve never been there you will learn the virtues of patience or lack of in waiting on others and crowds. Good Luck and hope your first time there is a good one.

Coletrain27
    Participant

Call zipple bay and ask them generally when there bay opens up. Next couple weeks don’t look like anything is gonna melt up there.

Ripjiggen
    Participant

I’m guessing there response will be “Usually in April hopefully by May” jester

Coletrain27
    Participant

They will still be making ice for the next 2 weeks according to the forecast jester

Coletrain27
    Participant

Ice was 36” At zipple bay in 26’ of water this weekend. Next 2 weeks there will no no thaw up there so I don’t think the bay will be open by April 10

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

Ice was 36” At zipple bay in 26’ of water this weekend.

There was over 40” about 2 miles outside Bostic this weekend. Ice isn’t going away up there soon. There may be some open by then but it won’t be much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.