Yetti soft sided cooler stink

• Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Went to pick up a Yetti soft sided cooler today to keep my Corona cold at the GTG, and when I opened it up the smell of ammonia was so bad I almost fell over. Grabbed another and same thing. Went to the store owner and had him take a whiff. He couldn’t explain it. They just got the shipment in today so he opened a few boxes of them and they all would knock you over.
    WTH? Anybody else have this happen. Needless to say, I am not the owner of one.

MX1825
    Participant

Go to Walmart and by an Ozark Trail SS cooler. You don’t keep those Corona’s in a cooler very long anyway. whistling

Wallyhntr1
    Participant
    Tonka

Coronas were one of my top 3 beers, ice cold was a must. And putting fresh squeezed lime & slices in it, goes together like P&J, bacon & eggs

lindyrig79
    Participant
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Just another reason not to buy a Yeti soft side

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Buy the RTIC soft backpack. Same concept/technology, but with padded back straps, more space, and a bit cheaper

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

Those yeti soft sides suck. So many better options. I won a soft yetti and that was the biggest garbage pile cooler. Way happier with my grizzlys and rtic even the lifetime from Walmart was better then the yeti.

Rodwork
    Participant
    Farmington, MN

The one thing I don’t like about the soft side coolers is how hard it is to open the zipper. I apply the grease and it is not much easier. My wife and son are unable to open it.

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

They now have a magnetic strip

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

They now have a magnetic strip

There are many better options. And they won’t stink like ammonia

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

Cabela’s carry anything good? I need to burn through a few gift cards.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Cabela’s carry anything good? I need to burn through a few gift cards.

I dont know how good it is, but they have the Cabelas ColdSnap soft sided cooler. These are pricey, but if you have gift cards spoil yourself. I actually like the zipper in the middle like this. I have a ozark trail from walmart similar to this, but the wife just tore the zipper out of it last week. Cant find it in stores anymore. This Orca has a much better zipper though.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/orca-walker-tote-softside-cooler?rrec=true

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

AO Coolers used to make a great soft sided for less but I just checked their website and they seem to have “evolved”. Still worth checking out as they may be cheaper than the name brands. I learned about them years ago here on IDO. Mine is built like a tank. A soft-sided tank.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

AO Coolers used to make a great soft sided for less but I just checked their website and they seem to have “evolved”.

I had never heard of them before and just did a search. For how well they appear to be built they seem well worth the money. They are far cheaper than a Yetti.

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

Those cabelas soft sided coolers look nice but latch is kinda a pos, I played with one at the store and couldn’t get it to latch as after a few try’s.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Those cabelas soft sided coolers look nice but latch is kinda a pos, I played with one at the store and couldn’t get it to latch as after a few try’s.

Interesting. The zippers on these soft sides tend to be problematic too, I was thinking that latch might be slick, but if its a PITA then that isnt good.

Norsky
    Participant

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I love my soft sided yeti, yes the zipper is tight but it is supposed to be. No weird smells either.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

never understood the appeal of soft sided coolers. i guess less weight is probably the main benefit but seems like you gain a lot of hassle for a little weight

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

You sure those coolers didn’t have Corona’s in them already? jester

CaptainMusky
    Participant

never understood the appeal of soft sided coolers. i guess less weight is probably the main benefit but seems like you gain a lot of hassle for a little weight

I like to use a soft sided cooler to put in between the seats in the Denali when on roadtrips. The top zipper makes access super easy and a hard sided cooler wouldnt fit real well plus when not in use you can flatten them out.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

You sure those coolers didn’t have Corona’s in them already?

Post of the day right here

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

bow bow bow
    Well played wave

Mookie Blaylock
    Participant
    Wright County, MN

AO Coolers used to make a great soft sided for less but I just checked their website and they seem to have “evolved”. Still worth checking out as they may be cheaper than the name brands. I learned about them years ago here on IDO. Mine is built like a tank. A soft-sided tank.

The one at the cabin sits on a shelf in the garage.
    You have to wrestle the cans out of them things!

RTIC Soft 20 is my preferred but the zipper on that thing drives me nuts. Once its open, I just leave it open.
    It just makes drinking more of a game that way, really.

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

The one at the cabin sits on a shelf in the garage.
    You have to wrestle the cans out of them things!

RTIC Soft 20 is my preferred but the zipper on that thing drives me nuts. Once its open, I just leave it open.
    It just makes drinking more of a game that way, really.

My AO too sits on the shelf. I have used it once or twice in all the years I have owned it. The shape is just not my thing but its built well! cool

404 ERROR
    Participant
    MN

It’s off-gassing from the build materials. It will subside in a couple days being left open. Downside to a water-tight system. That being said, they suck. RTIC is the way to go for soft sided.

Deuces
    Participant

If anyone wants to sell one of their size 20 or so soft sides I’m in the market for one and hate buying new.

Got my dad a nice one couple years ago and he hates the zipper too. I’m looking to shed weight, I have a hard sided igloo whose latches went to crap.

CaptainMusky
    Participant

I have a hard sided igloo whose latches went to crap.

Igloo has really upped their game on the newer coolers. I bought a 60 qt last year and its really well built. It is still holding ice after our return from Houston on Sunday. I had to keep a brisket, st louis cut ribs, boudin and a bunch of other things cool since meat is so much cheaper down there.

Deuces
    Participant

That’s what I thought but both rear latches broke. For the price I was very happy with it, but if they don’t last got to move on. Have this exact one.

Attachments:
    1. 416gZl0PedL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

CaptainMusky
    Participant

That’s what I thought but both rear latches broke. For the price I was very happy with it, but if they don’t last got to move on. Have this exact one.

Interesting. Does that model have a cable on the inside to not allow the hinge to over extend? My model is larger than that and has side handles not one over the top. Actually mine is a 52 qt. It has a cable on the inside limiting how far the cover can go over.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

If anyone wants to sell one of their size 20 or so soft sides I’m in the market for one and hate buying new.

I will give you mine beads if you want it. cant remember the size. might be slightly larger than 20. its not a super high end one its a ozark trail. think i got it as a gift one year. Works fine its just not my thing

looks like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-6-Can-High-Performance-Soft-Sided-Cooler-Grey/507288900

ThunderLund78
    Participant

HA! Used to love Coronas but Spring Break, Acapulco 1998 put an end to that. I can now identify Corona by smell and it makes me gag.

Modelo and Pacifico are now my jams for Mexican Brew.

Anyway, sorry to derail – back to cooler talk!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.