Yamaha: 20 HP portable outboard electric vs. robe start

• joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Yamaha makes a manual start 20 HP “the F20LE” and an electric start 20 HP “F20LM” portable outboards. The manual “rope” is considerably cheaper and saves you the trouble of purchasing an extra marine starting battery as well. Has anyone experience with rope starting the newer generation of 20 HP Yamaha’s? How hard is it to robe start the Yamaha F20LM? I’m not getting any younger, but am always looking to save money if practical.

Sure would appreciate your input?

Thanks

Mike Johnson
    Participant
    Nashua Iowa

I don’t k ow about Yamaha but I’ve got an early 2000s 25 hp merc and it starts very easy with the pull rope. Ive gotta think the newer motor would be just as easy.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

Rope start is one thing but if it doesn’t have the auto trim, that would be a deal breaker vs. electric start for me.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

Rope start is one thing but if it doesn’t have the auto trim, that would be a deal breaker vs. electric start for me.

Not sure what you mean by: auto trim would be the deal breaker? Is this your way of saying that you don’t recommend manual tilt? Not sure where your coming from. Very few tiller driven F20’s have power trim, but power tilt / electric start is common.

Mike W
    Participant
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

2 stroke or 4 stroke. I have a 25 hp honda 4 stroke. Pull start was fine 16 years ago when I bought it. Sucks now.

WarEagle
    Participant

I will never go back to a pull start.

SuperDave1959
    Participant
    Harrisville, UT

joc, bending over the back of the boat wrestling a manual tilt is way harder on an old back as well as flat out dangerous if done on the water. My comment was meant to say that I’d never buy a motor, electric start or manual start if it didn’t have a power tilt/trim.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

joc, bending over the back of the boat wrestling a manual tilt is way harder on an old back as well as flat out dangerous if done on the water. My comment was meant to say that I’d never buy a motor, electric start or manual start if it didn’t have a power tilt/trim.

Thanks for the tip.

GEEMAN
    Participant
    Fort Atkinson , WI

“I have a 25 hp honda 4 stroke. Pull start was fine 16 years ago when I bought it. Sucks now.”
    I agree.

I have a 20 hp Honda 4 stroke pull start. Love the motor but after many years working in construction my body is paying the price to the point that it’s literally a pain ( shoulder ) to pull start that motor some days.
    After many years of pull start motors, one of my fishing buddies bought a 25 hp Yammy 4 stroke with electric start last year. After running his boat a few times, I WILL be going with that or a Suzuki 4 stroke with EFI as soon as I can swing it.

To the OP. I too like to save a buck when I can but looking back, my body sure wishes I would have bit the bullet and went with an electric start motor instead of the pull start I have now.

joc
    Participant
    Western and Central, NY

When I buy the motor I think I’m going to go with electric start and power trim. I’m not getting any younger.
    Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.