Xcel is cleaning up a radioactive water spill at Monticello plant

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Odd wouldn’t you say? 400k gallons leaking, 4 months for it to be news…and now with a few hundreds of gallons, it’s time to shut down and fix it.

I’m not a very bright light bulb, but if they are finding it in their sampling wells, isn’t already in the ground water? I’m thinking if I had a well up that way, Ecel would be paying for a 3rd party to sample my well weekly. That would include the city’s water supply.

stout93
    Participant
    Becker MN

Odd wouldn’t you say? 400k gallons leaking, 4 months for it to be news…and now with a few hundreds of gallons, it’s time to shut down and fix it.

I’m not a very bright light bulb, but if they are finding it in their sampling wells, isn’t already in the ground water? I’m thinking if I had a well up that way, Ecel would be paying for a 3rd party to sample my well weekly. That would include the city’s water supply.

What radius from the plant would be worried?

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Great question. I’d expect an answer on that in 4 months.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They aren’t saying if they check any other wells in the area.
    I’m sure the Xcel stock holders are on top of it though.

Riverrat
    Participant

Oh man that sucks, after their press release that said there was nothing to worry about I went and drank a whole bunch of groundwater. That third thumb was just starting to get useful.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Fish with glowing green eyes? They say that’s normal. LOL

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stout93 wrote:</div>

They aren’t saying if they check any other wells in the area.
    I’m sure the Xcel stock holders are on top of it though.

The old saying is the solution for pollution is dilution…

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

Man those smallmouth in the river should be HUGE in a year or two….

G_Smitty
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

we’re talking tritium here… beta radiation. doesn’t even pass through a piece of paper. Your skin is an effective barrier. not a big deal…

eyeguy507
    Participant
    SE MN

so guessing someone will score a 15lb eye in the next year or 2 out in between pools 2 and 6?

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

we’re talking tritium here… beta radiation. doesn’t even pass through a piece of paper. Your skin is an effective barrier. not a big deal…

It’s not scary when you’re being logical like that! Lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Agreed. Tritium in a pool of water next to a person is “no big deal”.

Unless it’s in the ground water and it’s ingested or inhaled.

ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable)
    is a radiation safety principle for minimizing doses and releases of radioactive material by using all reasonable methods. In principle, no dose should be acceptable if it can be avoided or is without benefit. [See Title 10, Section 20.1003, of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR 20.1003).]

Netguy
    Participant
    Minnetonka

New leak discovered. It’s a big one.

Attachments:
    1. Nuke-plant.png

CaptainMusky
    Participant

Apparently Traut Wells from St Cloud sent a bunch of trucks over there last week to start drilling a bunch of wells to test ground water.

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Now with the power down, the change in water temp has caused some fish to die.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

so guessing someone will score a 15lb eye in the next year or 2 out in between pools 2 and 6?

Odds are higher than ever regardless… best population of walleye on record.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Participant
    Prescott

Now with the power down, the change in water temp has caused some fish to die.

I’m sure it’ll reek havoc on the shad

Deuces
    Participant

No shad up that far, farthest I’ve seen shad north was Camden area much aouth of the coon rapids dam, and it was only a couple times of them busting the surface and I’m no shad expert, and I’ve been fishing that stretch a long time.

Depends what time of day the water temp went down, last time it went down was at night I believe so the majority of dead fish on the shoreline were catfish carp and some eyeballs. If it was during the day smallness and suckers would be more in the mix.

Either way w the radiation it would make for a really strong argument to legalize 2 lines if fish have 2 heads

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

MONTICELLO, Minn. – A Minnesota nuclear power plant says it fixed a radioactive leak, but the process killed hundreds of fish.

The Xcel Energy Monticello Nuclear Generating Plant sits close to the Mississippi River. The utility company started powering it down on Friday, which cooled the surrounding water.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) says the temperature change killed about 230 fish, including bass, channel catfish, carp and sucker fish.

The_Bladepuller
    Participant
    South end

That fish kill happens any time a power plant stops cooling it’s condenser discharge water.
    Nothing burger

Eelpoutguy
    Participant
    Farmington, Outing

That fish kill happens any time a power plant stops cooling it’s condenser discharge water.
    Nothing burger

especially when it included Bass. whistling

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) says the temperature change killed about 230 fish, including bass, channel catfish, carp and sucker fish.

Imagine the outrage if there was one walleye found!!

glenn57
    Participant
    cold spring mn

the #4 news had a piece on that last night with some chemical engineer….its what he said is its all around us and used in signs. unless you consume alot of it it usually breaks down rather quickly!!!!

big_g
    Participant
    Isle, MN

Nothing burger

Oh well then, let’s do it everyday !! crazy doah rotflol

The_Bladepuller
    Participant
    South end

Facts are that if you want to generate electricity from a thermo ( coal & gas burning or nuclear fueled) power plant on a river up here in the north country it is going to happen.
    Nukes need to refuel approx every 2 years & do maintenance. Other thermal plants need to do maintanence. It happens. The cooling towers discharge into a channel and the fish that soak up the free heat are in that area. They are not killing fish a mile down stream.
    Facts are facts.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Imagine the outrage if there was one walleye found!!

You dang right the outrage! We would burn that Fu*#ker down!! flame jester

Sorry BK we should really be more sensitive to your meowfish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thank you John. wink

monticatgeek
    Participant
    Monticello, MN

having lived here in Monticello for 37 years of the 46 years I have been alive I can say I have never heard of anything like this happening before. as for the fish kill that basically happens any time, the plant is powered down. the discharge water doesn’t flow, and the main river water drops it temp really fast causing some fish to go into shock. Happens when they have the refueling outages mainly. This leak issue sucks because I like to do one or two float trips from Becker to Monticello each year and once you launch at Becker there is no take out points until you get to just down river of the plant at Montissippi park or Ellison park in town. Might have to try the Clearwater to Becker section this year instead if I want to do a float trip.

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.