Work boots

• Josh

Just looking for some new work boots, have had 2 pairs of Danner vicious boots. Have not been very good at keeping them oiled but have gotten about 1.5-2 years out of each pair. But the pair I currently have is at the end of there life. During the summers they get probably get 4-6 miles a day of walking in dirt and muddy fields. So looking for new water proof work boot, have had Rocky’s and Carolina and lucky to get a year out them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I buy red wings. Never even once have I thought about regretting it.

Work boots are 2408s I believe. 8 inch lace up steel toe.

My at home boots are 3505s. 10 inch tall pull on steel toe. I’ve been buying the exact same 2 pairs of boots for 13 or 14 years.
    I did not like danners, Carolina, cat, and a few other brands.
    If you go the red wing option they offer free laces and oiling for the life of the boot. But make sure you read where they are made, they now have half the models made in China and all of the Irish setters made in China. Make sure you get the red wing made ones. Big difference.
    I’m in my boots 10 to 15 hours a day and come home and put on the at home boots after words.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Both the 2408s and the 3505s come in water resistant or gortex. I cant run gortex they will get to warm and my work boots start to smell terrible.
    The water resistant stay dry all day and I cut concrete all day in wet sloppy conditions.

tim hurley

Not aware of your situation but I have heard that leather needs to breath, a foot sweats a lot in a day and that moisture comming from the inside can damage a shoe or boot more than the treated outside. If you can afford to, have two pair and alternate. People on this site really know gear, sure you will get great advice on brands.

Deuces

Tried Thorogoods last year from Fleet farm. Never had such feet problems in my life. Awful. Tried different inserts with no luck. Second I got rid of em my pain went away.

Don’t have any recommendations other than darn tough socks. Worth every single dam penny for working feet.

tim hurley

Dang Bear you work 15 hours in boots-kick them off and put on another pair of leather boots with a steal toe? Get some fuzzy slippers!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’ve tried several pairs now. Cat are trash, Carolina I have now and I like them. Going on year 3 with them. Waterproof but my feet don’t sweat like crazy. Can’t remember what the other brand I tried but the sole came completely separated from the heel of the shoe in the first couple months of having them.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dang Bear you work 15 hours in boots-kick them off and put on another pair of leather boots with a steal toe? Get some fuzzy slippers!

On the long days I come home shower and pass out. But yes usually sliding them on at 330am and taking off around 5 PM. Then slide the good ones on and go fish for a hour or 2 lol. I tried sandles but they dont do it for me

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>

On the long days I come home shower and pass out. But yes usually sliding them on at 330am and taking off around 5 PM. Then slide the good ones on and go fish for a hour or 2 lol. I tried sandles but they dont do it for me

Only one answer left…..Crocs.

Deuces

One simply cannot live their best life without Crocs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

One simply cannot live their best life without Crocs.

I’ve almost bought some once in Camo but then got cheap when I saw they were like 35 bucks or something like that.
    That’s good minnow money ( or like 4 minnows for you guys in the cities). Jk I had to say it

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I will never pay more than a dollar a minnow. Anything more cuts into my crocs budget.

Do you know what the holes in Crocs are for?

It’s where you dignity escapes…..

deertracker

I don’t have a comment on boot brand, but everyday after work I put my boots on the boot dryer. I feel it helps them last longer and also helps with athletes foot and what not.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I don’t have a comment on boot brand, but everyday after work I put my boots on the boot dryer. I feel it helps them last longer and also helps with athletes foot and what not.
    DT

100 percent agree.

tim hurley

Feet sweat a bunch-quality sock idea is good too-anyone have a good brand?

michael keehr

I have a set of merrels now and like them alot but have only had them since the middle of march so I will have to see how they hold up. I had danners before these but they didnt even make a year. I had redwings before that and they were great but the rep at the store said some things I didnt care to here so I have never been back.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a set of merrels now and like them alot but have only had them since the middle of march so I will have to see how they hold up. I had danners before these but they didnt even make a year. I had redwings before that and they were great but the rep at the store said some things I didnt care to here so I have never been back.

That stinks about a crappy sales person. But they have red wings stores all over the area.
    I used to have merrel hikings boots, didnt know they made a work boot

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Feet sweat a bunch-quality sock idea is good too-anyone have a good brand?

I have hanes x temps right now. Tried the Costco or Sam’s club wickening socks and they were not bad for the price. I used to wear dickies work socks but my feet would get warm in the summer time

Deuces

This is non foot related Columbia has an elastic belt at gander outdoors. Another got to have for a beer belly working dad. No more pinch when sitting or bending over, flexes right with ya. I’m a huge hater of belts, went thru a suspender stage there for a lil bit.

for FWIW

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190728_194337795.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is non foot related Columbia has an elastic belt at gander outdoors. Another got to have for a beer belly working dad. No more pinch when sitting or bending over, flexes right with ya. I’m a huge hater of belts, went thru a suspender stage there for a lil bit.

for FWIW

I’d almost agree with you but I’ve had my 511 tactical belt for 8 years now. Best belt I’ve ever owned ever. I hated leather belts.

Sorry op for non work boot stuff

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Tractor supply Carrie’s Smidts brand boots. I highly recommend them. The price point is 80 bucks for steel toe and water proof. DON’T let the price fool you they are are great comfortable out of the box waterproof boot that will last 2 years. Going on my second pair this spring. I landscape and they go through a lot.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Tried Thorogoods last year from Fleet farm. Never had such feet problems in my life.

I had the same experience.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Keen’s also have a 6″ workbook with a composite “steel” toe that are very comfortable.

dbright
    Cambridge

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MAVERICK wrote:</div>
    Tried Thorogoods last year from Fleet farm. Never had such feet problems in my life.

I had great luck with them 5-8 years ago before they changed what they sold at fleet farm. They still make the boot I wore then but I have not tried to order them directly.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>1hl&sinker wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MAVERICK wrote:</div>

I had great luck with them 5-8 years ago before they changed what they sold at fleet farm. They still make the boot I wore then but I have not tried to order them directly.

Us built thorogoods are good boots from what guys say at my work. The Chinese ones from fleet farm are no good. Just like the red wings half there stuff is now made over seas and there is a big quality difference

MNBOWHUNTIN

I’ve been wearing Ariats, cowboy square toe style, for the last 4 years out here in the patch.

I fix above ground pumps, one of the dirtier jobs out here, and I get about 2 years out of a pair of boots. They see everything crude oil, produced water, variety of chemicals, condensate, mud, snow, ice, etc…

Comfortable and hold up to the crap. The crude helps keep the leather sealed haha. Only thing is they are only good for about 4″ of water, after that your feet get wet.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Back when I had to wear them on a daily basis, Red Wing 2408’s were my boot of choice. Put a lot of miles on those bad boys surveying pipelines.

404 ERROR
    MN

Red Wing 4200 gets my vote. 8″ lace-up steel toe.

Deuces

Us built thorogoods are good boots from what guys say at my work. The Chinese ones from fleet farm are no good.

Well that would be some terrible false advertising then bc their boxes say made in USA in pretty big letters.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.