wood carving value

• buschman
    Pool 2

Hi Guys, this is an odd one to ask here but hope someone can give me some insight. I have been carving a few pieces and have made it to the point where I need more tools. So I want to try and sell the eagle I carved and use the $$ I get from it to buy these tools. I am not into carving for profit anyways. I guess what I am looking for is what someone would know the possible value of this bird at and maybe the best way to go about selling it. In a perfect world I don’t want to put it on ebay or something similar. I would like best to sell it locally where I can maybe see it down the road. So my first thought was to offer to some resorts but don’t know what to ask. Thanks for any insight or advise you might have..

\\Server\tcldata\JOE\MyDocs\My Pictures\eagle front finish.jpg
    \\Server\tcldata\JOE\MyDocs\My Pictures\eagle carving back finish.jpg

This one stands 32 inches from top to bottom, 34 inches from head to tail and about 16 inches wide at the shoulders. It was carved out of white ash and was finished with a clear coat wood sealant (TWP)

Attachments:
    1. eagle-carving-back-finish.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I have no idea, but that is beautiful!

buschman
    Pool 2

\\Server\tcldata\JOE\MyDocs\My Pictures\eagle front finish.jpg

Attachments:
    1. eagle-front-finish.jpg

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks Ralph, I am hard pressed to sell it.. But its either this one or my wheeler. I can always make another bird and can faster if I get the right tools. But cannot carve a wheeler that will pull my shack out )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

Thanks Ralph, I am hard pressed to sell it.. But its either this one or my wheeler. I can always make another bird and can faster if I get the right tools. But cannot carve a wheeler that will pull my shack out )

Good Call! Your next one will be even better. Nice work!

munchy
    NULL

Very nice.

I have no idea what it is worth but my aunt and uncle bought one fairly similar from a carver a few years ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if they paid atleast $5k.

big_g
    Isle, MN

a quick google show quite a range of eagle carvings, as far as detail and finishes. Anywhere from $300 to $2500 is what I can see…. yours would be towards the $2500 mark, more than the $300… but I also don’t know what one’s reputation/history can command, the higher figures were from established artists that have many pieces, that I could see. Either way, nice job !!! waytogo

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Very, very nice bird! If you live in town I’d invert a garbage can and set it on it in the front yard with a sign saying for sale. That looks every bit as nice as some of the guys along the north shore do and they don’t get chump change for their work. Neither should you for this bird.

buschman
    Pool 2

Thanks guys, I have looked around also and it just seems so inconsistent. I guess it all is in the buyers eyes. I am keeping it inside at our office for now. I have been told not to sell it for any less than 750.00 and double is possible from guy that seen it in person at my work. He was familiar with wood carvings. I just needed some extra thoughts. Like I said I am not in it to overcharge someone but hate to give it away also. Your complements are appreciated.

It took awhile. This was the 1st eagle I carved so a lot of staring at it and making adjustments. It was only a few hours to block out with the chainsaw but the rest took a bit if time. maybe 18-22 hours total?? I carved a musky and was asked the same thing. When I said 20 hours my wife laughed and said double it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very impressive, you have a great eye & talent. Well done!!!

gary d
    cordova,il

It’s the old saying, the valve of your piece is the valve someone is welling to pay. I too carve for pleasure. It’s hard to put the valve on something that you enjoy to do. The bigger your name is the more money you can get for a piece. You can sell for a reasonable price and get your money to buy more equipment. Once you get a few more piece out there then ask for more money.

Your eagle is very nice!! Country art 175.00 to 225.00. Next one then just up 100.00 or more. Nice work!!
    We need a art section in this site. We have very good artist on site to show off their works. Just saying. Nice work again!!!
    gary

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.