Wondering about the G Loomis NRX 852S JWR?

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Looking for a new jigging stick. I have a 6’10” MLXF Legend Elite that I use primarily for pitching jigs. Was thinking of trying the NRX. Has anyone fished the 852S model? I’ve played with the 802S model, and I like it, but I want to try the longer rod. Was wondering if it was Extra Fast, and if the tip is tight and how does it fish jigs? I like my poles to transition to backbone real quick, and I do not like slop in the rod. I primarily fish jigs 1/16th-1/4th oz. Thanks for any feedback! Steve

mann4ducks

I have a few GLX 852s and like them for drop shot or long casting lighter jigs. I have never tried the NRX to be honest I went back to my IMX 782s for vertical jigging up to 5/16 jigs. I have no explanation for it but the IMX 782 gives me a better light bite feel than the 852s. I get more hook ups with them.

fishinguns
    Metro D, MI

I prefer softer rods for pitching jigs to walleyes. I also predominantly use braid & fluoro leader.

I do have the 852S, but it’s a Jigging Rap/Shiver Minnow rod that I just so happen to use on the Detroit River vertical w/1oz jigs, out deep. I can’t really compare to your SC LE as I don’t have that model, but I have handled it a few times in the stores. I think the xtra fast taper is similar in both rods (even w/the LE being a ML), but the NRX has more backbone.

If I was bass fishing, I think the 1/16-1/4 would be very doable on the NRX. For walleyes, I like my Trout Series GLX, NRX 901JWR and 822DSR. Softer tip works for me better. I also have a NRX 842S in the stable for sz 7 Jigging Raps/sz 2 Shiver Minnows/1/2oz jigs and boottail plastics.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.