Woman lake help?

• Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Hello all. Might be spending a week on broadwater bay this July. Curious about weed line depth, and the type of structure/ areas to target bluegill. Perch, walleye and muskie also any other tips for the entire woman lake chain. Thanks!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

also any other tips for the entire woman lake chain. Thanks!

If you have a whole week, make sure to make a day for Little Boy, part of the same chain and right outside of Longville. Maybe Wabedo too. Nobody seems to know about these lakes (well some do) but relatively overlooked when all the focus is on “the popular lakes” whistling

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have stayed on little boy before and wasn’t impressed, but it was the heat of summer. Couldn’t find any decent sunnies out there.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you’re up around the 4th swing by Roosie for a day and help me find those monster eyes.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I think we will be up on the 13th-20th. Might have to come check out that dock! If I get the walleye or muskie dialed in on the pontoon you might have to stop by woman!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have stayed on little boy before and wasn’t impressed, but it was the heat of summer. Couldn’t find any decent sunnies out there.

Dustin, Every time I went there it was in August but you are correct in that there was not much at all for pan fishing. I never put much effort into that anyway as there was such good gamefish opportunities. I usually always caught a few nice one’s each trip.

One time the family staying in the cabin next to me went through the channel to Wabedo and there is a pond or pool back there off to the right where they were able to catch an abundance of sunnies. Nothing huge, but they brought enough back for a nice fish fry and invited me over for some yummy samples. smile

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good to know Andy. We found enough sunnies for a meal as well. But I love the potential for sunnies and perch on the woman chain along with hopefully getting the family on some big toothy critters! Looks like I can drive right up to the bait shop and liquor store in longville! Heaven! Now just have to wait for July.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Anyone been out on woman yet this year? Any predictions for a pattern come mid July?

Deuces

Fishes like leech. I like weedlines myself there, when the wind kicks up troll shallow with spinners on windy shores. 4′ of water with 2′ waves gets interesting, but the fish will be there.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Are there areas with better inside or shallower weed lines or sand gravel flats to troll some cranks on? I would imagine you can find some fish on the 20′ gravel during the day?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Safe to assume most of the big bug hatches are done around woman lake if leech is wrapping up? Heading up on Saturday! Will there be another round of hatches? Or just little ones now? Any recent reports on the area really appreciated!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

So far this week we have caught walleye jigging and slipbobbering in the evening, jigging and pulling spinners in the morning and last night we stayed out until almost midnight trolling cranks on the shallow flats, all fun! Bluegills are scattered on the weed line and we haven’t located them on the main lake yet. Really great vacation so far! Haven’t located the better perch yet. Are they normally mixed in with all sizes? Or do the jumbos cruise with the walleye? Lots of incidental pike, haven’t targeted the big toothy critters yet.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Heading back up to women lake on 4th of July again! Hoping to pick up where I left off last year. Any bug hatches yet? Water temps? Anyone else going to be in the area for the week after the 4th? Hot tips on woman or area lakes? Have a list a mile long of what I want to try. Just not sure what time will allow. Very excited!

Joe W

I’ve been on Woman quite a bit this year (the old man lives on Child). The last couple weeks have had huge bug hatches, but I think they might be winding down? Water is around 70-72. I’ve been pulling lindy/spinners and jigging leeches in 14-20ft of water with mediocre success. Not sure when I’ll be up next, but I want to try pulling plugs shallow after dark.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks! I will let you know how we do!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Pretty good fishing this year and very nice size to the fish. Ended up with around 50 walleye for the week just short fishing trips here and there between family time. Nice sunnies mixed in, some smallies and pike as well. Little humid to start, but a pretty great week all around. Pm me if you want details.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Heading back up to woman lake a couple of days after labor day! Are there any specific tactics to try that time of year to try and locate the perch? Or still too early? Most of the walleye game I would assume would stay the same? When do guys switch predominantly back to minnows up there? Thanks for any advice!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Having never fished it I can only assume after Labor Day you will find more guying heaving Muskie baits then Walleye fishing.

Do you know people or staying at a resort?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Resort again. I might do some trolling for muskie as a part of the search tactics. Just curious about what patterns are normally setting up.

Joe W

Got up here last night. Mainly working on deer stuff, but will be out wetting a line in the evening. If anything is hot I’ll pm ya.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good luck! Thanks! 1 more month until I get back up there, can’t wait!

Joe W

Was up fishing last weekend. Walleye were tough. Basically need wind and/or clouds to get a bite. Off the edge of deeper breaks. Nothing great for size. Lindy rigs. Did pull a couple real nice smallies, one a sea hair under 20 inches.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Thanks for the info. Did you try shallow or cranking after dark? Find any perch of any size schooling yet?

Joe W

I’ve pulled cranks up and down that center bar twice. Once got a couple small bass and once got a nice gator. No walleye.

Biggest perch I’ve caught up there is 6 inches.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Woman use to have some real nice perch in it. I have a buddy who has a family cabin on the lake and he use to catch some real nice jumbo perch right from the dock.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

They are there. Just difficult to target with all of the little ones, I would think fall and winter would be better when they school better.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Heading back up tomorrow morning. Any reports from the area over labor day? Water temps?

Taishiro Tezuka

Anyone been having any luck this summer finding the walleye?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I haven’t been up since early June, going back after labor day. I always find them on the shallow flats, probably cause that’s where I’m looking, just depends on the day if they are up there during the day or after dark.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.