Woke Up With A Bang

• mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Woke up like usual today, watched cartoons with my daughter, made breakfast. Went to relieve myself and as I was I heard a boom and the house literally SHOOK. Now I had eaten Taco Hell last night but I didn’t think it would shake the walls.

Turns out, about two blocks away someone’s ice house blew up in their driveway. Literally could feel the shock wave. Pretty nuts. Saw the KSTP chopper fly over the house shortly after. Haven’t seen anything about it on the news yet so hopefully no one was injured.

Steven Krapfl
    Participant
    Springville, Iowa

It was the Taco Bell, don’t lie. jester

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

That’s crazy, share how it happened if you can. Hope everyone is ok too.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I would imagine propane leak and a spark.
    I heard a bang like that once when I lived in Chisago. House rattled and it ended up being the new transformer on the telephone pole blew up, sent pieces to the other side of highway 8. It was crazy.
    Couldn’t imagine the shack in the driveway or something. That sucks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mahtofire, you didn’t get called to save the basement?

Seriously I hope no one was hurt.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Link to Lucky

WHITE BEAR LAKE, Minn. (FOX 9) – The White Bear Lake Fire Department is reminding the public about the dangers of working with gases after responding to a propane tank explosion Thursday morning.

Fire crews responded to the report of a loud explosion that shook the caller’s house and received additional calls in the neighborhood reported hearing and feeling an explosion.

Initially, the fire department couldn’t locate the source of the explosion. Eventually, they discovered a furnace in a fishing trailer that was leaking propane and exploded. The trailer suffered significant damage, with the back door and siding nearly blown completely off.

No injuries were reported, but there was significant damage to nearby structures and a vehicle.

“It is a good reminder to be very careful when working with gases that may explode. We encourage everyone to leave this type of work to the professionals,” the fire department said in a Facebook post.

You’ll need to follow the link to Fox 9 to see what’s left of the wheelhouse.

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

I would imagine propane leak and a spark.
    I heard a bang like that once when I lived in Chisago. House rattled and it ended up being the new transformer on the telephone pole blew up, sent pieces to the other side of highway 8. It was crazy.
    Couldn’t imagine the shack in the driveway or something. That sucks.

I’ve been on those calls too and they are crazy loud.

Here’s some pics

Attachments:
    1. E152182C-C8B2-4431-919C-3380B0E768F5.png

mahtofire14
    Participant
    Mahtomedi, MN

Mahtofire, you didn’t get called to save the basement?

Seriously I hope no one was hurt.

I live near the border of White Bear and Mahtomedi and this was in WBL’s territory. There wasn’t really anything to do anyway. No fire. They actually left after not finding anything the first time out.

MNdrifter
    Participant

I just about had this happen to me a month or so ago. I threw a brand new 30#er on my fish house, turned it on and walked away because I was running late getting the boy to baseball practice. Next day I went to grab something out of the fish house. Opened the door and it wreaked of propane. Opened windows, left door open. Checked stove and found one burner turned completely on. It dumped the whole 30#er in the fish house. Luckily I had everything shut off inside. Otherwise probably would’ve went BOOM.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Glad your ok Drifter! Question and I’m not judging, why turn the gas on if your not using it?

Ripjiggen
    Participant

That would make you have to change your undies.

MNdrifter
    Participant

Glad your ok Drifter! Question and I’m not judging, why turn the gas on if your not using it?

It was just before we started ice fishing season. I was in there almost daily working on gear, daydreaming about ice fishing. I would turn the tunes and the heat on while I was rigging rods/rattle reels, tip ups, changing auger blades, etc. I must have accidentally turned a knob on the range. Or the bathroom door swings into it also.

John Rasmussen
    Participant
    Blaine

Gothca. Again glad it ended up ok.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.