Minnetonka bassin spots?

• spider

I am going to be fishing tonka for the first time this weekend. I have been reading previous posts about lures and presentations. However I was wondering about locations. I know that Tonka is a big lake and I was wondering if anyone had any areas that are better than others to catch bass. Specifics would be appreciated, but areas or generals such as nw, sw..and so on would also be helpful. I plan on putting in at Maxwell Bay. If anyone knows of good areas It would be appreciated. Also I do have a nice map so names would also be helpful. Thanks again for any info given!!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Today was day 1 of a 3 day pro/am tournament on Tonka. Given this I do need to be a little reserved for now. I will tell you that I’m basically doing the same things as my past reports. My 6 fish today weighed 21.81lbs, including one at 6.14 and another around 5. Every bay holds fish. Its just a matter of finding the spot on the spot that will get you the big fish. Sorry for not suppling as much detail as you may have wanted.

spider

Thanks for your response! I understand totally about not giving to much info becuz of the tourney! I am going up there saturday, but have a tourney there next weekend! Maybe after your tourney is done maybe I can get more specifics from you on the spots that produced today for you. That is a good weight!! I wish you luck tomorrow and saturday On Prior! Hope to hear from you again after the tourney! Thanks Spiderwire

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Today was completely different. I only caught 1 fish deep. All the rest came off docks with stickworms. I know quite a few guys that got all thier fish on docks as well. Proves that a guy needs to be versitile. Anyway I made the top 20 so we start all over at 0 tomorrow with a new Ranger on the line!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

MFO

There was quite a bit of talk among the guys at the ARM event about your doings at the tournament over the weekend! So… how’d it go? We were all pulling for you ya’ know!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I was fortunate enough to make the top 20 and go on to Prior. There my am and I sat in 1 spot for 8 hours and managed to catch just over 20lbs of bass and finished 6th. Real nice payday. I’ll have reports up for both lakes tonight. On the flip side when I woke Sunday morning I found a wet basement due to a leaking water heater. Thus a good portion of the winnings are all ready spent.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I watched the weigh-ins on Friday at Manards. Man is it tough to watch both the big bags of bass and keep an eye on the local scenery.

Life always has it’s litte ironies, make some money, spend more….Congratulations on the nice finish. What were the top 10 weights for Prior??

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

24 won it. I had 20lbs to get 6th.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Congratulations on a nice finish Mike! Sorry to hear about your water heater…………I came home to 2″ of water across my basement after the WI fishing opener…………caused plenty of damage and personal property loss because I stored lots of stuff in the basement. Books, games, old LP’s, and my Hot Wheels collection along with wood soaking and carpet destruction.

No fun and sorry to hear it happened to you too!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks! We were actually pretty lucky, at least in the big picture. There was only a small amount of water by the heater itself and no damage to other “stuff”. Dad came to the rescue, AGAIN, and helped us get up and going in a matter of hours.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Congrats Mike on a job well done!
    Cannot wait to see pics of those bruisers!
    I am just curious on how you were rigging your “stickworms” for pitching under the docks. I think it may applt to my smallies up north on the Miss!

Congrats on the season thus far, you have been having a good year overall in the walleye and the bass hunts!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Congrats Mike on a job well done!
    Cannot wait to see pics of those bruisers!
    I am just curious on how you were rigging your “stickworms” for pitching under the docks. I think it may applt to my smallies up north on the Miss!

Congrats on the season thus far, you have been having a good year overall in the walleye and the bass hunts!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I Texas rig them on a 3/0 Gamakatsu wide gap hook. I don’t use any weight usually as they have a nice fall rate. If I plan to use them in deeper water and want a faster fall I will insert a small brad nail in the middle of the plastic to get the same horizontal fall.

Hopefully I will have the pics from the tournament director soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.