Coon Lake

• dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

I have a tourny out on Coon Lake this weekend and wondering if anyone has any reports to tell. Basically I have been getting them on Jig, cranks and soft plastics around the weedlines.
    Not looking for too specific details just some thoughts.
    Thanks,
    A

MFO
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

For numbers I usually hit the small bay just east and north of the channel. Spinnerbaits over the weeds or stick worms around the docks work well. The bigger fish seem to hold on deep coontail. If you can find some scattered clumps off the actual weed edge, you’ll find the real big ones and be able to separate yourself from others. You’ve got the right lures, cranks like a Bomber Fat A or a jig are your best bets. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

fisherman-j
    Participant
    Northern MN

If you launch at the Coon Park ramp, go west/south west about 100 yards from the ramp/shore towards the homes on the south shore. There will be a drop off from 6′ to 18′. It follows the shoreline west. Bass & northerns are to be easily had.

What time does the tourney(s) run on Sunday – so I can avoid the area!

dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Our tourny starts at 6 and goes till 2. It is a club tourny with only about 8 boats. Nothing too fancy but some fun and a chance to win some money.

1800 Fisherman, are you talking about the park access on the north side of the lake or the one closer to the channel?

Thanks for the replies from both of you. I will be getting out for a little scouting tomorrow again and I will see what I can find.

Thanks and I will post the results from Sunday.

A

fisherman-j
    Participant
    Northern MN

The ramp is on the north east side of the lake (not the one by the channel). There’s also another good dropoff and weedline in the entrance into the narrow bay one over from the ramp (not the bay that the ramp is in – the next one over to the west). Good luck!

dank
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Our club Tourny was on Conn yesterday and it was a tougher bite than we saw in the prefishing. Not one in our club found any real conncentration of fish anywhere after 8 in the morning. The majority of the fish came on Stick plastics thrown under docks and on the inside of the weedline. A couple caught them on Buzz Baits in the early morning over the flats. Cranks and spinner baits caught some fish over the flats but once again not many. There was also a couple of fish caught on the outside weed line with jig and worms.
    This report doesn’t get too specific because the fishing wasn’t that specific either. If I could do the day again I would completely forget about the S. Lake. The millfoil on that lake is out of control. The other side was where almost all the fish where caught. For me what worked was covering a lot of water and throwing to the outside edges. The better fish that I caught under docks where ones that “looked” rather unproductive. But I guess that’s fishing. The winning weight was 14 lbs.

The birght point of the day was catching a nice 12 1/2 smallmouth to end the day, didn’t help me but pretty cool when the lake shouldn’t have any.
    A

Shane Hildebrandt
    Participant
    Blaine, mn

I had good luck tossing a meps comet or a meps black fury. I work the spindle weeds tossing these lures right up to the edge of the grass and then letting them them come across the top of the underwater weeds. I have had some great bites and pulled out some great large mouths out of the lake that way. the biggest one i have caught is 4 1/2 pounds and of course no camera in the boat for a picture. they also sell a nice selection of cheaper ones at walmart in a plastic box. for around $15. they also make smaller panfish ones, I have had better luck with the smaller hooks that were made for the panfish.

good luck fishing, I have fished coon lake now for 3 years running, that is the only lake that i fish because my boat is not that far away from the lake, I have produced some big fish out of that lake and I think if you get to learn that lake, you can find some big fish.

good luck

Shane
    thebassman1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.