Spring Lake

• nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

We’ll even being tired a heck, and up for a good 22 hours, I decided that I still needed to go fishing in the morning. Boat was ready to go, and gassed up, I just needed a little bait and I was set.

I had planned to go out to fish lake, but changed my mind last second and decided to go to Spring instead. I went out huntin’ the Crappies, I guess I had the right concept, first cast I picked up a nice crappie, this could be a nice day, Well I had 2 fish in the boat before the GF even got her line wet. Then it pretty much tapered off from there caught some more crappies, but it wasn’t high action fishin’, little bit windy, and there was a water skeir out now, so we moved to another spot, only to be cut off by another boat that zoomed into the spot we were about to settle into, ( like he didn’t know I was still moving and where I was going) Normally I slow way down a good 100 feet or so before I stop the boat and toss the anchor, this guy, just comes wizzing in and parks 30 feet away from my boat effectivly cutting me off to where I was moving. He was a jerk, I was nice enough to not remind him of this, although I probably should’ve. Caught a couple more crappies and a sunny, but action was slow. Seems the fish wanted the bait moving, tried tossing a pink fluflu, but that only got me one bite, the fish today wanted a plain hook with a crappie minnow, they didn’t want any meal worms today or and fancy jigs. Moved once more picked up a couple more fish, but nothing was really hot. Seems a few crappies are hanging out 8 feet, most of them were closer to 12-14 feet for the good ones I found. I was fishing a slip bobber with a plain long shank hook, and that worked when I was slowly reeling in, fishing about 4 to 5 feet deep. I didn’t feel like tying a hundred knots, do I didn’t experiment much, that might’ve helped a bit, it wasn’t bad fishing so I pretty much just stayed with that.

The fish in that lake know pressure, You could almost always catch a fish on the first cast, if not your second cast, but after that it took a little more time, to get your second and third fish. A tough lake to fish in my book, so Today was a good day, not great and not bad

MFO
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for the great report. I’ve heard good things about the panfishing in Spring. Do you find you have better luck in open water or on ice?

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

Haven’t hit the ice out there yet… Ice has not been so good last couple of years IMO, and some of those people driving on the ice are crazy, and I’m lazy and don’t really feel like hualing all my ice junk around on my portable shack, So I’ve Ice fished very little. I need a trailer for my atv in winter That and I’ve historically heard better things about Ice fishing on cedar.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

What kind of ice shack do you use ?

Quote:

and I’m lazy and don’t really feel like hualing all my ice junk around on my portable shack,

nick
    Participant
    Lakeville, MN

I believe it’s a shappel (sp?) 4000 4×8 fit 4 people, or 2 comfortable. It moves on skis, and hold my stuff pretty secure on top, not a big deal just a bit of a hassel. I like to move around a lot, not just sit and fish one spot and hope for the fish to swim by.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Ice fishing on the move is a must if your gonna pull more fish through the hole…Have you ever looked at a Otter ?I purchased one last year and I found I can put all my gear inside the sled and pull the top over easy as pie…I pull mine by hand..no motorized help and it’s pretty easy…I purchased the Otter Medium Cabin and I would recommend this unit for everyone who likes to keep on the go when they are ice fishing…

MFO
    Participant
    Minneapolis, MN

I use an Otter as well and pull it behind my atv or by hand. Definatly the best on the market in my book.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.