Bass action

• MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

The bass continue to bite very well on Tonka. The fish are starting to show up more and more on the deep milfoil spots, but the numbers are still shallow. This fish was big fish in last saturdays tournament and weighed 4lb 5oz.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

MFO,

that is a nice looking fish, i was wondering where a not so crowded spot would be to drop a boat to go and try to get them bass that look like that. have you had any luck tossing a mepps spinners or plastic worms.

thanks

shane
    thebassman85

92python
    Minnetonka, MN

Last 2 times out I have found some really nice largemouth out deep. My biggest largemouths of the year have been caught in the past couple weeks. These same areas were holding nice smallies earlier in the year.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

i have been actually affraid to go and drop a boat in tonka due to the high boat traffic and not to mention i do not have a trolling motor, so i do alot of drift casting. I am not familiar with that lake at all and that is a shame seeing how i have lived in MN my whole life. I was just hoping to be able to find a spot where one could anchor and toss around some baits and catch a few lunkers to change my cold streak that i have found. I usually fish coon, but they are bitting light up there. get em to the boat, but have no one to run the net.

thanks

shane

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

To avoid the traffic just go out early, or pray for rain. That’s the only way to avaoid it. It isn’t as bad during the week, but it is there. The access on Maxwell is good as well as the Gray’s Bay access. Both have lots of parking with docks to tie to off the ramp.

Since you are bowmountless, I would just fish a thick milfoil flat in 8’+ of water and drift over it dropping jigs through the canopy. I couldn’t tell you the last time I caught a bass on anything but an Outkast jig. From midsummer until the weeds start dying off its the only thing I throw.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

MFO,

Thanks for the cool site. I actually have a few things in my tackle box that looked like that. i bought them with the ugliest thing in the box catches the fish. was just not too sure on how to use it. I guess you guys can thank the BB/BS event for handing out this website. I like it alot, i am learning alot about fishing. thanks for all of the advice.

keep the lines tight, and may the bass be big!!!!

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

MFO

I ahve a question for you! how do you become an amature fisherman to be able to participate in these fishing tourneys. the nice thing is, I don’t work thursday, friday, or saterdays at all unless i want O.T. I am interested in becoming and amature, just need someone to tell me what i need to do.

thanks

shane

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

I am a “walleye guy” with a walleye boat and I probably spend over 90% of my time chasing them. However, I used to do more bass fishing, especially on Tonka. That has dwindled for the past couple years to the point this year where I hadn’t gone fishing on Tonka at all up to this weekend. I went out with my nephew and we had a fun morning. It was fun to have the ‘ole bass on the the line again. My first fish was a plump 18.5″ and I was thinking I would be hammering ’em. That ended up being the biggest of the day but it was still a lot of fun.

Don’t let the traffic scare you off of the great Minnetonka fishing. I have fished weekends many times and it isn’t a problem, especially if you are willing to start early (pre 6:00 AM) and finish up by noon or 1:00. If you are looking for a low-key ramp, try the Minnetrista public ramp on Halsted Bay. The bad news is it has street parking and the walk can be long. That isn’t a problem if you are launching prior to 6:00 AM.

With me being the farthest thing from a bass pro, I’m probably not the best one to be giving advice about the tourney seen. However, my cousin has long participated in the MN Bass pro am tour and it seems like a great place to get your feet wet as an amature in the bass tournament world. Just go to their website and look into joining next year…

http://www.mnbasstour.com

Check out their schedule for this year, you can go to the weigh in for their “tournament of champions” next month.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey MFO,

thanks for the info, I will hopefully see you out on the water!!

thanks

shane

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.