Any Cat Luck On Wissota

• littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

Finally have an evening on Saturday to try cats on Wissota.

Has anyone had much luck as of late. Any suggestions on locations or tactics you might want to pass along for a Wissota rockie looking for some channels?

Any help would be much appreciated

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I am not real familiar with Wisota. This time of the year the cats go nuts on Mendota. I like to fish right next to major weed beds on main lake structure with a little current on them. I use a lit bobber float setup and usually run Sonny’s 3-4 feet down over 12-15 feet of water where there are weeds that don’t reach the surface. You can also fish the shallow side edge of the weeds in 3-4 feet of water. I’d try a crawler, a stink bait setup, and a cut bait and let the fish tell you what they want. If you don’t get bit in 30-40 minutes move.

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Wissota Cats are HOt right now! Suckers of all size work great. Some nights they like the live ones some nights they like the dead ones. A lot of the time I use dead suckers and cut the belly open. 6-8 inchers are good. I use a very simple river setup. It starts with 1oz slip sinker and a swivel. Add a 3ft snell and a rather large circle hook. I tend to use my musky gear when cat fishing but anything will work 10lb or better. Cast off the weed line and let them soak. The Yellow River area and also on the small lake around Mermaid Island is good. I will be out on Saturday as well. Catch and Kill!

If you are going to use circle hooks keep in mind not to set the hook. Just hold the rod until there is tension. the hook will set its self. Good Luck

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

Thanks for the good info guys, getting pumped for some fat cats tonight!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.