WOW!!! I AM THE FIRST!

• walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I was out on the big lake 7/16. Did fairly well lots of 8-13″ fish. Had 2 almost 18″. Water was very green. I love Wissota, I just wish I could find a few bigger fish once and a while.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Do you find that the big fish bite is primarily inside of spring or fall time windows? Or is it just difficult altogether? I’ve never been on Wissota but I eye-ball ‘er every time I make a trek out to Wausau. I keep thinking this fall could be a GREAT opportunity to mix a little fishing into my journey!

Also, do you fish for other species on Wissota and if so, what’s the action like in the fall? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yeah, Congrats on being first and THANK YOU for firing up a new forum!

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I just have a hard time finding them over 18″. I can go out just about anytime and catch 20 fish in an evening. I have had evening that I can catch 50-75 walleyes. Don’t get me wrong I love to catch them, but a bigger fish once and a while would be nice. The slot has helped some, but only time will tell.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

What’s the slot / regs on Wissota regarding the ‘eyes? how long has it been in place? Just curious. Thanks.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hi all. A new formum to play on. Wissota has some big fish in it for sure. I think the slot is three fish, all under 14″ or 2 under 14″ and 1 over 18″. I was wondering about a little main basin trolling out their? Running a little faster and trying for some suspended fish. Anyone tried this out there? Wissota is a nice lake but a real bear to get on during the weekend. I wish there were more accesses as all the ones I know are busy always.Hey walleye 1274 where are you normally fishing the small or large lake? Do you ever go after the sturgeon in the fall? Steve

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Leinieman is correct about the slot. I usually fish the big lake. I have not done any trolling, I always end up jigging. I hope to get out tonight.

Don Hanson

What bait produces the best? Have you tried using plastic for bigger fish?

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

The last 2 years a plain pink 1/8oz jig with the usual minnow,leach or crawler has been the best producer. I have never used large plastic for walleye at all. How large should I start out with. I know this lake has some very large walleyes in it.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I was on Wissota last Mon. We were trolling with very limited success. We did better on smallies than walleyes. It’s a fun lake to be on and is close to home for me. I would really like to put together a good pattern.

Don Hanson

Don’t be afraid of going bulky with the plastics. Try some tails and ring worms in 4 to 6 inches.

leinieman

Hey guys, I figured I would throw this out there. I work in Chippewa and would like to get out after work sometime on Wissota if anyone has an open seat? I get off at 3:30 and depending on where we meet up I can be there in minutes. I could pick up the tab for bait and gas and even post some photo’s of all the big ones. you guys ever get any of those huge muskies trying to eat those 13 inch walleye’s boatside. That can scare the crap out you. Steve

walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Leinieman, I would be glad to share my boat with you some evening. My wife is expecting our first child in the next week or so, but I will let you know when I can get out. Anybody been out on the lake this week??

leinieman

I think you mean you and your wife are expecting. No rush, Wow your first
    child is due. Congradulations!! Do you know if your child will be a fisherman or a fisherwomen
    yet. I hope the mom to be is doing well and you both enjoy the experiance.
    Keep us posted. Steve

Will71

Greetings all. It looks like it has been awhile since anyone has posted on here. Just moved to Lake and live on the big lake just up from the Dam. I love to fish off my dock in the evening, any angling advice, pointers as to what bait to use and what to fish in this area?

leinieman

Welcome to the site.You must be close to the fish and game launch huh. I will have to come over there and check the depth, light penetration, ect ect. Just kiding. Is it sandy there or gravel.. You should have plenty of fish right there. I would try leechs on one rod, crawler on the other and if you have a muskie rig use the first small walleye 12 incher that you catch under a big bobber. Let us know how you do.Do you get out on the lake?? Steve

Will71

Yeah Every now and then i get out on the lake, but havent bought a boat lift yet. No of where i can get one cheap? I have tried crawlers with a harness and bobber fishing as well as some sucker and crappie minnows. A few crankbaits also. The only catch so far has been a 11″ walleye. Im pretty much in the gravel and just bordering a pretty good drop in the water. What would be the primary fish to look for in this area. Panfishing here seems slim to none.

leinieman

Walleyes,and smallmouth should be around. I haven’t been out there recently but can imagine there is some heavey boat traffic right now. Are you between the launch and the Chippewa or between the launch and the dam? One thing that would probably help out is to fish later in the evening those fish ought to come out of the deeper water to feed. Also the wind dosen’t pound your shoreline very often and if you get some wind blowing at the shore for a day or two that may be just the trigger. Try just a lindy sinker and a glow hook instead of the harness. That will let the crawler or leech have some freedom. Slip bobbers is something else to try and remember to put out a big bait on a heavy rod for those muskies that may be lurking. Steve

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.