Crappies

• Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

With the beautiful weather had to get out tried Glen Lock with no luck. 2pm launched at the State Park and fished around the corner found the crappie in there but very negative finally got them going with 1/32oz plain jig n minnow tight lined of the back of the boat out of the wind. Crappies would just grab on very hard to tell when they bite. Got nine 8 to 11 1/2in, dz eyes 8 to 10in and one 24in muskie. Fun day I’ll take it for starters. water temp 48 to 50 degrees.

bigpike
    Participant

Good for you, and thanks for the report, things should be heating up real nicely if this warm weather holds out long term.

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

Hit it again this morning until rain started and my fishing partner got cold only got eight they wanted tailhooked minnow and chart/green jig. only two walter and a half doz small pain in the rock bass.
    What a great afternoon wished I could have stayed out.
    water temps up to 55. Chippman

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Nice report Ron.

I went out last night for a couple hours.

I didn’t find 55 degrees. I found 51 at the highest.

Bowhuntr24 and I were scopeing out new water, but gave the Highway K bridge a little try. Erik pulled one crappie out of there and that was it. Then we went running and gunning checking out new spots with no luck.

The Riverside Landing is in need of repair. It looks like ice pushed the tar up to form a steep ridge. I would advise avoiding this landing.

The DNR is doing some netting. I will be anxious to see the results.

Sully

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

Great report i sent a pm missed yours with this weather it should only get better. Chippman

krisko
    Participant
    Durand, WI

I’m hoping I can get my truck back soon to get out and put my boat on the water here. I had awesome luck with the crappies on the small side of the lake last year….hopefully I can get out and get a report together.

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

Just got back not much happening on my usual spot wrong wind so did some lake hoppin found fish in a couple of spots caught over thirty kept 18 9 to 12+ a couple wouldn’t even fit into my crappie size checker I’ll try to get some pics it was a slip bobber day!!! Chippman

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Hey Chippman, Do you have a crestliner with a johnson motor? I think I might have fished next to you for awhile last night. Fishing for me was kind of slow. Caught a few crappies and a few smallies happen to bite as well.

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

Nope not me I’m fishing out of a green camo 16ft landau jon boat with a 15hp evinrude. My 18ft lund is down with motor problems. I saw the crestliner he caught a dandie as I went by. Ron

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

I have a 1660 lund pro-v black and red. I think I remember seeing you out there. Right after you left the state park area that guy hammered them. He was in the perfect spot there or something. I caught a couple but bite was tough. He was anchored in the exact same spot on Tuesday night. Wish there wasn’t rain in the forecast I would hit the lake tonight again, but I need to bring the boat in for a couple small repairs.

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

Out in the rain with my 4yr old but the cool night must have slowed them down only 6crappies but the eyes were hitting good can’t wait for the opener. must be alot of guys reading this it was a little crowded. ha ha.

bowhunter were you out there I saw a blk & red lund zip by going to the town launch (don’t remember the name) Chippman

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Yea that was me, Made it out Friday night with the gf and sunday. Did really well Friday night couple 13 in crappies and an additional 15 9-12. Sunday was tough, for the wind wanted to keep me out of the area I wanted to get to. Went around and tried to find another hot spot with no luck. We did find an area where the smallies are going nuts, the gf loved catching them. Any other weekend reports?

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

What a beautiful day it turned out to be could have been fishing but got a call from Joe Kurz DNR and helped a out netting and tagging sturgeon in the refuge at Jim Falls what a blast we tagged 43 today Yesterday they had alot more. I’ll try to post a picture of a big piggy.
    Whats the cool nights doing to the crappies? anyone fishing?

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Crapppies have turned off Chippman, went out last night to all the honey holes and could only manage two. I was very suprised. I did have a surface temp of 58.9 so the temps are really starting to rise, I don’t know where the crappies went?

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Surface temp tonight was 62 degrees. Tough bite…only managed 5 keppers. Tonight we were in a way different area I was fishing with Sully. He caught monster 13 1/4 full of eggs…this girl was released. Ended up with only five keepers for the night. Real slow night but always nice to be on the water like the night was tonight.

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Has anybody had better luck? Any reports?

Chippman
    Participant
    Chippewa County, Wi

Went out tonight with the little guy fished the last hour before dark only managed four 9 to 13 he got to bring them all in and fished out three bobbers with the net so he had a blast. Lost quite a few minnows very negative and scattered need some warm nights/warm rain.

Chippman

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.