Camp Kenwood Area

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Has anyone been fishing this area for crapppies,eyes or northerns? I haven’t been out there yet but might give it a shot Friday late afternoon and evening for eyes and crappies.
    Steve

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

My dad lives on the lake and I dont even know where it is Is it near the Pine Harbor bay area?

jhalfen

Steve: I was out there Sunday afternoon/evening and essentially got shut out (3 guys with flags and jig poles, 2 fish between us all). Saw a couple of other guys’ flags flying but didn’t see anyone connect. Hopefully you’ll have some better luck.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

Leinieman,
    Was out Sunday evening (1-2-05)for eyes across from the state parks beach “Windyyyyyyy”…..between 5 of us we had 10 flags and caught 6 eyes….all were released due to we forgot to bring the regulations book and did not know what the slot limit was…..havn’t ice fished the lake for a couple of years but always did well in the winter so we gave it a try. I do fish it for bass during the summer and found a couple of good spots near the beach.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

3 eyes per day. Throw back between 14-18 inches (No minimum length). Only 1 above 18 inches can be kept.

leinieman

Thanks guys for the info and Joe I think that is also the same spot as where the Yellow river dumps into Wissota. There’s just a sign that says Camp Kenwood where I turn then I go across a small bridge(Yellow River) then I take a quick left for maybe 3/4 mile and there is a boat landing there on the left kind of tucked in-between some homes. Only enough parking for a few rigs in the summer but a good spot to drive out on once the ice gets thick.How thick is the ice in this area? Should be some big slab crappies out there besides the walleye’s. I may get all my stuff ready tonight and give it a whirl Friday afterwork. Steve

jhalfen

Steve: we measured 9-10″ on Sunday. About an inch of pellets on the surface made for easy walking. There were full size trucks and a few permanents on the ice; I chose to hoof it.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Can someone fill me in with directions on how to get to this landing which is close to the hot spots. Thanks !!

leinieman

Yep I will hoof it myself. I may pull onto the ice just to unload but will not drive around out there.

hey bowhuntr24 I’ll try my best at giving you the directions. If your coming from Eau Claire on 53 turn East on 29 towards Abbotsford. Take the highway K exit to the north. Stay on K untill you come to county x and take a left. A short distance down x will be county K again and follow it North (right) stay on K untill you cross the yellow river bridge and take an immediate left on 75th st I think. First road to the left after bridge anyway. Follow it a half mile or so and the landing will be on your left down a fairly steep bank between a couple of homes. I think that should put you right there.

Steve

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I measured 14″ on 12/31. I don’t trust river ice.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Thanks…Is this area any good for a night bite? I don’t usually get a chance to get out until after work, usually could get to the lake around dark…so hopefully it is..let me know..THANKS

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

What kind of minnows you putting on your tip-ups? shinners or suckers?

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

The airplanes were landing on the ice when I was there the other day. But near the gordys landing there was 7 inches about. And there were holes in the ice, maybe 1 foot x 1 foot, where it looks like it got weak and a tire punched through.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Made it out there yesturday (thurs) evening got on the lake around 3:45 from this landing you all are talking about WOW! what a steep hill full of ice…had to take a couple of trys to get up it with my car, and by the looks of it several others had to as well. Lots of ice on the hill, as for the ice conditions plenty of ice, I would say 14-16 inches of ice. Lots of people driving, even from this landing down through the narrows. The fishing however was very slow. I could not seem to get anything to bite. What do you guys usually suggest for when jigging in this area. I tried crappie minnows, waxies, on tear drops, on jiggin spoons ect..nothing seemed to work. Talked with a few other fella’s out there and VERY slow for them also. Two guys left with nothing including myself and one guy landed a SMALL eye. Not much going on out there. Anybody have any suggestions of what minnows to throw on my tip-ups next time? Looking for the eyes. THANKS

jhalfen

We have a reasonable amount of success with fatheads, both on tip-ups and on swedish pimples. Nice big shiners run a good chance of atracting pike, especially if you’re fishing closer in to the north shore.

There’s decent fishing to be had in this area, but it gets a lot of pressure and can be hit and miss. One piece of advice I can offer is to not be afraid to venture away from the crowds. It’s a longer walk, but the south shore, where the main river channel is located, offers some fantastic structure and depth changes, in addition to cribs. We’ve done well over there in the past.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Anybody been out here lately? Any night bite for walleyes ever? ? ?

leinieman

I had planed on going out there but changed up and hit Bone for the perch instead. Early evening can be good but it seems like the bite always died down after an hour or two of darkness. Not sure if the fish quit biting or just moved? We fished closer to the shoreling out and to the right of the landing. I haven’t been out there yet this year. Steve

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

My little Walleye this year hit about 2 in the afternoon, about 50 yards from the Gordys landing. Its about 30 feet there, so thats probobly why.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.