Crappie town

• bigpike
    Participant

Some of you refer to it. Is it on the little lake or somewhere else?

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

Well its probobly one of the shanty towns on the little lake. There is a few on there, but they git rather large. I think they fish out the area and move on down.

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Pretty slow in crappie town last night before the snow..and during the snow. Any spots anybody could share for sunfish on wissota? or area lakes? OR is anybody else having better luck? I found that crappie minnows were the ticket

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

Well I was near the boat landing on the Gordys side fishin tip ups, and they plowed a road today to the town. I heard there was nice Crappie action up Stillson Creek, just dont git to near to the bridge.
    How much ice is in shanty town? There is only about 7 inches everywhere else, and the cars make the ice just shake.

krisko
    Participant
    Durand, WI

I was going to take my girlfriend out fishing Sunday or Monday. I was jut wondering where to put my line in the water on Wissota. I’m looking for gills and crappies. Just wondering what to use and depth that has been effective lately. I’d probably be fishing the little lake side. I know you all will say just look for the shacks…just looking at depths and bait to bring and get, and also what’s better morning or afternoon. I really just want her to be put on some fish. She gets bored to easy. I’m not looking for your hot spots just what works best. Thanks again guys.

leinieman
    Participant
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Wish I could help you out on Wissota Krisco but I haven’t been out there yet. I do know that the perch action was real good up on Bone which would be a pretty good drive. Hows Thompson lake down there by Durand or Silver Birch or maybe Dead Lake doing? I’ve ice fished all those in the past and done well. Have you been on Eau Galle at all? I know the DNR stock walleye’s a while back and it used to be full of crappies and some really large N Pike. Steve

krisko
    Participant
    Durand, WI

I’ve been out on Silver Birch and Dead Lake and have done really good. A lot of small gills but some dandies too. Crappies were biting good the other day. On Dead Lake I’ve also had a run of good bass too.

I don’t fish Thompson or Eau Galle much. Too much traffic and little fish on Eau Galle and Thompson, I’ve never had much luck.

The only reason I wanted to hit Wissota tomorrow is it is close to her house and we have to be off the lake early. Thanks any way.

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

Leineman,

Gary Vorce told me that the Walleyes on Eau Galle have just become feeder fish for the Pikes. He said they are huge. Have you ever had luck on there?

leinieman
    Participant

There used to be some real large pike in Eau Galle as well as lots of catfish. They lowered the lake some years ago to repair the dam and they stocked walleyes in it some time after that. I haven’t fished it in quite a while. I would think that some of the walleye’s fell prey to some of the northerns in the lake and or some of the Tiger Muskys’s. I’m sure they didn’t get them all as there are plenty of other baitfish in there in cluding crappies,gills and perch. Steve

krisko
    Participant
    Durand, WI

I’ve caught one walleye in there and that was in the channel towards the dam. I’ve only heard and seen of only 3 others being caught. The lake is really shallow so I can’t see too many eyes still being in there.

I have to say that most of the fishing has slowed down down here. Many reports saying that since the snow they just have shut off. We watched yesterday on a camera the fish looking at the bait and not doing anything. We changed color and everything. The few that did bite hit hard. I can’t see what they can be feeding on. There is nothing there to eat except our waxies and minnows?????

I had a friend go up on Wissota the other day. He said they caught 4 eyes on tipups. One was 20″, he said they were on the little lake, I couldn’t understand the directions though. Sounded like they were near Angel Island??? Never maid it out the other day to fish Wissota. Sounds like it didn’t matter as no one had any good news about catching fish. A few of the locals said they really shut down in Crappie town the begining of last week??? Anyone else been having problems?

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

There is a Mermaid Island as some call it. Its the rock pile with the American flag on it. Go past Crappie Town, and there will be a big point with a willow tree on it. Go past it a ways and you should see the rock pile. Its shallow around the rock pile so be careful not to hit bottom with auger. This is good for eyes, but im not sure if its the Angel Island your friend is talking.

krisko
    Participant
    Durand, WI

I found where they were tipup fishing. They had no clue, trust me, where they were. I went out with my girlfriend on Sunday in Crappie town. Not much going on. We didn’t catch any thing. I didn’t have a vexlar so that mad it really tough. Others there weren’t catching anything either. When any of you are fishing are you just off the bottom or do you have to find out where they are inbetween. This is in case I don’t have a vexlar again.

Are there anymore places where the fish have been biting?

bowhuntr24
    Participant
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Anywhere from the bottom of the lake to 5-10 feet they come. Kind of hard if you don’t have a vexilar, you could always buy mine FL-8 original asking $200 email me [email protected]

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

My Dad is coming to visit me on the lake for the first and it sounds like it’s so slow, I may go to a different lake.

No good reports?

Sully

leinieman
    Participant

Hi Sully I plan on hitting the lake somewhere after work tomorrow. I just finished rigging up my new tp ups for walleyes and will give it a try. I’ll let you know whats happening or what’s not on Friday. Steve

leinieman
    Participant

We gave it a try by the Yellow River Brige. That would also be the area I call Camp Kenwood. Several other fishermen on the ice and we all caught the same amount (Nada) We had one flag between the three of us and we only saw a couple of fish on the Vexlars while jigging. Nine lines in the lake and zero fish. I would like to hit the main lake somewhere and give it a try. Anyone fishing the Big Lake? I may try Menomin tomorrow and will post how I do. Steve

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Steve, thanks for the report.

I fished Saturday morning closer to K Bridge and got two northern and a musky.

Saturday night I was in the Camp Kenwood group and got three bites on a jigging spoon, but I couldn’t hook ’em. I think they were pretty small. I only saw one small walleye caught.

Sunday morning I fished close to the K Bridge and had one flag and I pulled the hook out of his mouth.

Not a great bite, but good weather to be outside.

Sully

fishingdaskoal
    Participant
    EauClaire WI

Can you fish directly under the bridge? Hows the ice there?

Jason Sullivan
    Participant
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I have never fished directly under the bridge through ice and I haven’t seen anyone else do it but I’m sure you could because sleds run through there.

It seems like it’s been quiet on the lake lately.

Sully

tipupsonly
    Participant
    Western Wisconsin

As far as the eau galle and thompson lakes are concerned, nothing sounds worth your time lately. Thompson always seem to be great around christmas through early january and then die off. I had great success on some decent northerns and nice bass early this year. Lately it has been horrible. As far as panish they are few and far inbetween and hardly worth an effort unless you can find one of the few monster crappies. For eau galle, most of those walleys have supposivly been eaten by the big pike. The lake just doesn’t hold them well either with it being so shallow and such poor water quality. Stocking has been dis-countinued. The monster pike are still in there, but dont expect more than a couple flags a day out there. The panfish arent worth the time either from what i have seen. They dont jump out of the hole but you can certainy catch them. However, size is small from what i have seen with the exception to some of the perch. The crappies are good in numbers and getting closer to eater size.

I have never fished wissota so i do not know what bridge you are talking about. But if it’s a bridge that cars use, be careful, the salt/sand from the road dulls your auger fast

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.